Rim fire practice

curtis

What is good .22 rim fire rifle to use for practice to work on shooting form and save the barrel in the larger guns? Bolt action or auto loading? What are some practice techniques that you do to keep your shooting skills sharp? How about distances that you practice out to? Thanks for any information that anyone can provide.

I have a CZ 452 varmint in 17hmr that I practice with. I am very much still a novice shooter but it has helped me a lot. Its fun to shoot it at 200 yards or even farther. You can learn a lot about the wind with it. At 250 yards it drops around 17" and gets around 2.5" of drift per mph of wind, so that gives you something to play with. It will really magnify any inconsistencies in your shooting form, or trigger control.
Knappy I was just over at snipershide and there is a topic on using rimfires for practice. Its in the "Training and Competitions section" you may want to take a look at it

I have to agree with arthurj that the .17 HMR is very fun and good practice. I have been using a marlin 917vs. 1/4 to 1/2 MOA at 100 yards using the federal premium ammo and a bushnell sportsman 4-12x44. I even use the finger adjustable turrets and count clicks to adjust POI out to 300. Doesn't make much noise when you hit a gong though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am practicing hard with my AMT .22LR (ruger10/22 copy) with sub sonic hp ammo.
It allows me to practise with my laser range finder and drop charts and mil dot ranging.
I have found that for some reason I can shoot a lot better by adjusting turrets than using mil dot hold over?
The distance I have practised at is mainly up to 200Mtrs.
Will just about hold 1.5moa @ 100mtrs on a good day (excusing semi auto chopped up bullets) and will hit a steel plate 120mm x 170mm out to 275mtrs most of the time!
I will go out further when the crops are cut.
I shoot the plates at unknown distances to practise ranging.
A few metres makes a lot of difference (200mtr drop is about 172CM with 86 clks @ 1CM and .71 seconds to get there)
At these ranges you have time to move the cross hair aside a bit to give a clear view of the impact.
As for wind!! it goes up and down as well as side to side.

Have fired 4 thousand rounds though it since Febuary this year!

Jeza

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.