Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters
I might as well jump in with both feet,

it seems that this question is loaded in favor of the pricier guns, not even custom ones, as one comment says, there is a huge difference between a $4,000 rifle and a $600 one.

I would rather see the question as to which rifle gives more value for the money out of the box. Value defined as accuracy under hunting or general shooting conditions.

Tikka hunting results... proof is in the pudding.
Moose.. 338 win mag T3... dads
Buck 308 win. T3 ...mine
Little brothers group with my 308

Many more but you get the point.

Attachments

• 3b8613b8-6cba-4c12-a5b6-6d92ecdf6e9e.jpg
    3b8613b8-6cba-4c12-a5b6-6d92ecdf6e9e.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 7d1d10c4-3438-4828-9a01-ada6bd44eea9.jpg
    7d1d10c4-3438-4828-9a01-ada6bd44eea9.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 29
  • db23cbad-91f9-4236-bb7c-eea0426f634c.jpg
    db23cbad-91f9-4236-bb7c-eea0426f634c.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
To me out of the box is specifically a non-custom gun so I excluded Cooper. I know they aren't fully custom but you would have a hard time convincing me that they aren't at least semi-custom.

So my 3 votes would be Savage, Howa and Remington. Some older Savages were just okay, some newer Remington's have had lots of problems. Howas from the beginning to current have been rock solid.

So my vote was for Howa. The negative for them is that they are a bit harder to work on than Remmy's or Savages, fewer gunsmiths deal with them, and there are fewer aftermarket parts. But for straight out of the box accuracy results they are tough to beat. Throw in price as a factor and they can't be beat.

CZ's are another overlooked manf. IMO. I don't own any of their center fire guns but have a couple of their rim fires and they are they most accurate rim fires I have ever shot. My 453 HMR shoots one hole groups to crazy distances!

My 2 cents based on my experience.

Last edited:
To me out of the box is specifically a non-custom gun so I excluded Cooper. I know they aren't fully custom but you would have a hard time convincing me that they aren't at least semi-custom.

So my 3 votes would be Savage, Howa and Remington. Some older Savages were just okay, some newer Remington's have had lots of problems. Howas from the beginning to current have been rock solid.

So my vote was for Howa. The negative for them is that they are a bit harder to work on than Remmy's or Savages, fewer gunsmiths deal with them, and there are fewer aftermarket parts. But for straight out of the box accuracy results they are tough to beat. Throw in price as a factor and they can't be beat.

CZ's are another overlooked manf. IMO. I don't own any of their center fire guns but have a couple of their rim fires and they are they most accurate rim fires I have ever shot. My 453 HMR shoots one hole groups to crazy distances!

My 2 cents based on my experience.

Yep I reckon the Howa and CZ rifles are great - I've owned a CZ years ago and it was very accurate, I still own the Howa and its been a fantastic performer, accurate, reliable and for the price I'd say punching well above its weight.gun)

I have never owned a CZ but I have four Tikkas and a Howa. For under a grand outa the box accuracy I would buy each one all over again!!

Im missing something here: My vote goes for ruger Ive had 3 rugers straight out of the box shoot under 1 inch groups even with lawyer friendly triggers! Im not saying go out and buy a mini 30 or 14 these arew junk but bolt guns are good as gold from ruger.

You left off Blaser & Interarms.

The Blaser has a very small US market share, but I've never heard of one that didn't shoot groups around 3/8", which is truly amazing. Their price is also pretty amazing — for how high it is.

The most accurate commercial rifle I've ever owned is a cheap Interarms Mini-Mark-X .223 bolt action. It has shot groups at .12"-.25" with factory ammunition since I got it 2 decades ago. It's not pretty, but it shoots amazingly well.

Savage rifles can be amazingly accurate, even the old 110s. I picked up a beat-up, rusty old Savage 110 with their plastic stock in .243 for my dad to leave in his barn for varmint control. After cleaning it up, including a lot of rust removal, we took it to the range & it shot 1-hole groups consistently with factory ammunition. It's still not in his barn — it shoots too well to let it get destroyed there.

I think Browning or Winchester right out of the box shooting factory ammo. I think Savage is good but, you must hand load for accuracy.

I think Browning or Winchester right out of the box shooting factory ammo. I think Savage is good but, you must hand load for accuracy.

have owned three savage 22-250's (still own two). With plain jane Remington loaded ammo the worst one of the bunch shot just under .50" at 100 yards. The best one would shoot very low threes. Hand loading them dosn't help as much as most folks would think it would, and I found that interesting. The rifle that shot in the threes did shoot mid twos with hand loads and shot a few groups (not many) in the .180" range using Sierra #1365 bullets over IMR 3031. The rifle that started out at slightly under .50" made the biggest gain with hand loads and would often print .25" groups I have a Mod. 12 that really needs to be shot more as I think it can be a consistent low twos rifle with some tweeking here and there. (mostly adjusting the bedding screw tension and some ring and bases work). All that 22-250 ammo came out of a fire sale that left the boxes smoke & water damaged, and was given to me.

I've never owned a Browning bolt gun, so can't comment on them. But had one Winchester varmit in .223 and another in 22-250. The .223 was a rock solid 1.5" gun on a good day, and the 22-250 was a 1" gun out of the box. I rebarreled it in 6BR, and made some other revisions here and there. It'll do threes.
gary

have owned three savage 22-250's (still own two). With plain jane Remington loaded ammo the worst one of the bunch shot just under .50" at 100 yards. The best one would shoot very low threes. Hand loading them dosn't help as much as most folks would think it would, and I found that interesting. The rifle that shot in the threes did shoot mid twos with hand loads and shot a few groups (not many) in the .180" range using Sierra #1365 bullets over IMR 3031. The rifle that started out at slightly under .50" made the biggest gain with hand loads and would often print .25" groups I have a Mod. 12 that really needs to be shot more as I think it can be a consistent low twos rifle with some tweeking here and there. (mostly adjusting the bedding screw tension and some ring and bases work). All that 22-250 ammo came out of a fire sale that left the boxes smoke & water damaged, and was given to me.

I've never owned a Browning bolt gun, so can't comment on them. But had one Winchester varmit in .223 and another in 22-250. The .223 was a rock solid 1.5" gun on a good day, and the 22-250 was a 1" gun out of the box. I rebarreled it in 6BR, and made some other revisions here and there. It'll do threes.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.