Rifling cutter head feed rate

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by lazylabs, Feb 20, 2012.

1. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

I think we have a couple barrel makers that cruise through here. When your cut rifling a barrel what is the feed rate of the cutter as it passes through the barrel? I believe the depth of cut to be around .0001? Does the feed rate change per caliber or groove width?

Thanks

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I'd say that's one of those "tid bits" of information that won't be freely given. Some stuff is just learned the hard way, trial and error, and experience!

3. lazylabs

I am guessing the general feed rate isn't that "secret" as compared to cutter head design, material and geometry that they have really worked on. I am guessing it's a very large range though. If you consider people are using everything from the P&W 40's era machines to new fancy CNC everything.

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

If it's that uncomplicated, just calculate SFM, just like any other machining operation.

5. lazylabs

I would really just like a real world number from someone that actually does it. If I don't get any answers I might just call a couple of the cut rifle guys and see if they are willing to give me a range. I just hate to interupt them for trivia questions.