Riflesmith need to true HOWA action

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ICANHITHIMMAN, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I have a HOWA LA and I want to have it trued but I am having trouble finding a smith to do the work beacuse it has metric threds can anyone recomend someone?

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Give Nathan Dagley a call , I'm pretty sure that he can do it , it will oikely involve a gear change in the head of the lathe but it shoulden't be that big of a deal for most lathes if the gear is available.

I know that they make a Tap that converts the metric threads to american , so their should be a fix to single point the threads to american , I'm not sure how good of a job that will do but I've heard it can be done.

Best bet would be to just true the factroy threads.

I'm taked to Peter Lincon a good bit about the Howa actions and in his experiance which is ALOT , they require very little work to "true" them up. In all honesty they are a superior desgine to the Rem 700

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

Thanks James I sent him a few emails and he did not respond I guess I could call him to. I just figured he was bussy.

4. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

I've done the Howa and Weatherby Vanguards before. The metric thread isn't such a big deal as long as your lathe has a metric quick change gear or metric lead screw. My lathe will cut metric threads but you can't dis-engage the half nut. I use GTR Tooling to blueprint actions and the Howa and Vanguards have just a liitle bit smaller bolt diameter than .700" Specialized bushings may need to be made to fit also since they are an odd size.

5. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

I was in contact with Nathen about Howa actions a few weeks ago, he replied he could do the work.

6. ICANHITHIMMAN

Hay guys thanks for the reply I found a guy

Thanks again

7. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

If you get stuck, I can do it. No worries.

Chad