Rifles to avoid?

Although this is not what to avoid my Rock River Varmint is amazing. My buddy was badmouthing AR accuracy so we went to the range and I put 12 rounds at 3/4" at 100 yds. The amazing part is I suck at rifle shooting, I'm old, and I was shooting a US Optics 1-8 SRC while he was shooting his bolt gun with a 3-12 on it. Of course since my rifle wasn't broken I had to fiddle with it by taking the RR stage trigger out and putting in a two stage Geissele in it. Guess we will see what happens next range trip.

Not slamming bolt guns at all I have way more of them than AR's, but there are some fine shooting AR's out there.

My nephew has CZ. I've heard nothing but good things about them. But the AR is filling a little different slot for me. More of a handy defensive carbine and plinker than a bench rest, last degree of accuracy.

After shooting a few different guns, and looking at a lot, I ordered a Colt LE 6940.
I really liked the 6920s I shot, but the fold down front sight on the 6940 would allow mounting a scope or maybe an Aimpoint sight at lower profile.

The 6940 is under 7 lbs. Weight and general handiness was a factor. I already have an M1A wheelbarrow gun. I found the AR ergonomically O.K. for me. It seems to point naturally and maintain a fairly steady point. My M1A is a bit "muzzle nervous' and likes to a firm rest.

I went with the .223 rather than an AR10, although I like the .308, and it has 2X the muzzle energy. My wife and daughter will also be shooting it. They are small framed and recoil averse. Also, .308 availability has been spotty. I used to get Fed 168 BTHP, and Black Hills for $15-17 per box. Now it's $25-27 unless you order online, and I can't even find Black Hills anymore. So 30 rounds of .223 (10.47 for Federal/ American Eagle) for less than half the price of 20 rounds of .308 is a factor.

The Colt 6920s I tried out grouped nicely with iron sights, and a cool barrel. By "nicely" I mean under 1 in. @ 75 yds, 5 shots. At 100 yards and more, my eyes need a scope. The ARs I've seen other people shoot, RRAs, and owner built-up jobs seem to all shoot decent groups. Will an AR carbine keep up with a top tier bolt gun with 6-10" more barrel?, No, I'm sure they would not. But on the other hand, you'd get tennis elbow trying to replicate the AR's firepower with a bolt gun. I agree the stock triggers aren't great but not sure I'd want a 2 lb. trigger on a defense type gun. The Geissele trigger is an option.

Of the more expensive stuff out there, I thought hard about an LMT. The interchangeable bbl concept had me thinking. But they fetch a real premium. And to take advantage of the interchangeable bbl. you'd need to buy extra bbls. Then you're talking a real load of $$. Enough to buy two Colts.

So, getting the LE 6940. If it turns out to be a keeper, I'll post a follow up.

If you want a rifle that will shoot from the start--get a Rock River 20 or 24 inch heavy barrel varmint model with match trigger, flat top--1-8 twist, should handle most bullet weights----install a good quality scope---You will never need to buy another and will never be unhappy.
I have several, not a bad shooter in the bunch, 100 yrd ragged hole groups when I do my part!!:)

AR's are a battle riffle that so many have had an "affair" with while in the service. Now if it's Your girl, and you don't have to leave her behind. The dreams of adorning her just the way she strikes your fancy is what it's all about. Now with many of us, this fun and lust has rubbed off on friends and family. Makes for a wonderful common bond. gun)

I have a dpms bull 20 upgraded with ambi controls and hiperfire trigger. Lead in the stock and a new grip. Supposedly came with the mil spec bolt and feed ramps. The gun has zero slop between upper and lowers. It looks really good shoots just as good. I will put it up against any ar that costs triple what mine did. I think the 1.9 twist is best. Faster twists means single loading. 20 inch barrel is best compromise between weight/ease of handling/velocity. They are pretty much a grown up ruger 10/22. Options are endless.

BTW never had an issue with "doubling" and 90% of the shells I shot have been reloaded. Maybe 1 out of 10 million do that

I have a RRA predator pursuit with the 20 inch barrel. A little heavy but shoots great. Very accurate for an AR.

It was AR15-E1 that wasn't chrome lined and first use by the Army. It had jamming problems. The spec were to close, and as it heated up it would jam. It's the 3 finger mussel flash or brake. I noted somewhere a statement the AR15-A1 was the one with the problems. I can see he was never in Vietnam. I started out with a AR 15-E1. It jammed every 3rd round. Got a second rifle a new AR15-A1. I never had any problems with it. In the second half of my year I got my hands onto a CAR-15 with a 10" barrel. It worked fine and fitted me better for my needs. I only noted was after 3-18 round clips fired on fully auto the front forearm pieces would get to hot to hold. The AR15-A1 with the V shape forward barrel guard you could put 50-18 round clips through it before it got hot. I haven't use one from that time on.

Combat Medic "D" Troop 3/4 CAV. 25th Inf. Div. Feb. 1969-70

SSS
Mike

I'd look for one with a 1:8 Wylde chamber, which is a "target chamber" of sorts; chambers both 5.56mm NATO and SAAMI .223Rem. I cobble ARs together by my own hand. I have an 18" Wylde that will put five Hornady 75-grainers into a square less than the size of a square postage stamp at 100 yards with handloads. Get a 1005 Tactical trigger for it; a great two-stage trigger for less than $100. Get a Pic rail upper and a Pic rail forward sight base/gas block. Get a free-float forward tube; Model 1 Sales has good prices on them. Get an enlarged trigger guard; the OEM thing will irritate your trigger finger. Get a grip with three finger grooves on it; the issue grip is bullschiff from the get-go. I like to add little doo-dads to my lowers like the Strike Industries XBC bolt release, an enlarged magazine release, an ambidextrous safety selector, mushroom-head takedown pins, an Accu-wedge and a heavier buffer.

What you can do is to get a micro gas block and extend a longer free-float tube over it, so as to have a longer sight radius when using open sights. I have one that has the gas block several inches short of the end of the tube; creates no problems. I also like clamp-on blocks as opposed to setscrew blocks; I think they hold tighter and will stay tight much longer because they have a much greater area upon which they grip the gas block journal.

If you're righthanded, you will not need an ambidextrous safety selector. I'm a lefty, so I do.

The above barrel is out-of-stock right now, but there are a multiplicity of other sources for Wylde barrels...

I found a nice "linear" muzzle device, but I cannot now remember who makes it. It has vents and holes an' all, and shoots the flame forward out of six holes in the front so as to make it look like a Hollyweird muzzle device that spits forward with six little spikes of flame with every shot. Very cool at night...

Last edited:
I found a nice "linear" muzzle device, but I cannot now remember who makes it. It has vents and holes an' all, and shoots the flame forward out of six holes in the front so as to make it look like a Hollyweird muzzle device that spits forward with six little spikes of flame with every shot. Very cool at night...
Found the images, but no manufacturer. Sixty bucks at a gun show several years ago. OD is right at 15/16 inches; OAL is right at 3.25" an' some. Requires a crush washer to index the topside vents...

An in-stock Wylde barrel: https://www.classicfirearms.com/arbarrel18parkerizedspiralfluted1in7fromheavybarrel/

My favorite takedown pins. Makes an upper & lower separation so easy: https://www.opticsplanet.com/yankee-hill-machine-ez-pull-takedown-pins-front-rear-set-yhm-7284.html

I like one of these for use with iron sights; flips down for use with a scope. Requires a gas block journal; obviously cannot be used with a free-float tube that covers it: https://www.opticsplanet.com/yankee...nt-flip-sight-tower-matte-black-yhm-9394.html

Heavy buffer; Spike's Tactical H2. Might also come in an H3: https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-spikes-sla00t2-heavy-buffer-st-t2-aluminum-black-hardcoat-anodized-4-02oz/0dfa8efc-8b38-11e8-9d0d-005056875b91.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&msclkid=09df538e5a4b1243b9230db2b1496a2d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Dynamic Search Ads>US>DSA&utm_term=opticsplanet&utm_content=Catch - All

Windham Weaponry makes a dam-ned good .223Rem rifle; you can trust me on that. Windham is the old Bushmaster; same ownership and production people...

I always put an enhanced charging handle on an AR. The issue thing is just too small to easily work all afternoon. There is available just the latch if you don't want to buy a whole handle. The single ones are bigger and are easily-installed with a small punch and a lightweight, brass hammer. I got a nice one via ebay for about fifteen bucks. Fit and function: 100 percent...

I always use an M-16 bolt carrier. Kind o' adds to the weight of the issue buffer if you don't go to an H2 buffer. Just adds mass if you do...

Lovin' the spiral gas ring. They don't have a problem with the gaps becoming aligned: https://www.fulton-armory.com/boltgasringmcfarland1-piece.aspx

A neat trick to improve extraction is to put a 5/32" o-ring over the extractor spring; allows the extractor to better grab the rim. Might be a 3/32" o-ring, but the 5/32" comes more easily to my mind. It's an easy & quick upgrade...

Get a Burris P.E.P.R. mount; raises your eye level for a more comfortable head position on the stock (fixed A2 or carbine M4). They go for around ninety bucks in both 1" and 30mm sizes...

Attachments

• moozle device 01.JPG
    moozle device 01.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 99
  • moozle device 02.JPG
    moozle device 02.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 106
  • moozle device 03.JPG
    moozle device 03.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Windham WW-15 SRC - 600pix.jpg
    Windham WW-15 SRC - 600pix.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 104
  • charging hangle-latch.JPG
    charging hangle-latch.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
If you want to save about $75 on the two-stage 1005 Tactical trigger, you can drop in a set of Kaw Valley low-power trigger & hammer springs. They go for about $15 from JoeBob's Outfitters, and go in just like the super-heavy, mil-spec dudes. Trip weight drops from about nine pounds for the OEM drek to around 5½ pounds. A good, inexpensive upgrade for a better let-off and lesser grittiness as you squeeze it back...

Here's a good substitute for the unknown linear moozle device described in Post #37: https://www.righttobear.com/Kaw-Val...ck-223-5-p/blk-linear-1-2x28-tpi-.223-cal.htm

4.3-ounce heavy buffer: https://www.righttobear.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-Heavy-Tungsten-Buffer-4-3-oz-p/kvp-4.3.htm

Optics Planet has a tungsten powder buffer that tips the scales at 5.5 ounces; it's called the ST-T3 (or ST-T4). I was unable to grab the URL.

Last edited:
Wanting to get an AR15. I don't have much experience with one and my question is. What rifle manufactures should I avoid? The gun will be mostly for target out to 300yds, maybe some hunting. I don't want to throw a ton of money into one until I get some advice. Thanks
I kind of went the middle of the road route I bought a stag it has a lifetime warranty including the barrel if it ever is shot out they will replace the barrel while it is not a cheap one it is not an expensive one either $800-$1000

I skimmed the 3 pages bit didnt fully read---seems like it went off a bit, the OP asked for an inexpensive entry level rifle and which ones to avoid.
PSA rifles with a free floated barrel, of you want to upgrade something later then buy a larue mbt trigger when it goes on sale for $80-90. Delton stems to ne decent too.
I would avoid Bear creek rifles and anything from ar15part.com, deltateamtactical.com, or Surplusammo.com that is not name brand

I skimmed the 3 pages but didn't fully read-- seems like it went off a bit. The OP asked for an inexpensive entry-level rifle and which ones to avoid.
Most likely my doings. To me, the base rifle you bring home from the gun store is where you start in making it a better tool for your intended purposes. ARs are like LEGO blocks for grown-up boys: The possibilities are bordering on endless...

Why have something more plain than vanilla when with a few bucks, some simple tools and a bit of time can make your plain jane really stand out as well as give to you a feeing of satisfaction that your rifle is not exactly like the one four benches down the firing line? The popularity of the platform will make it forever the choice of shooters who want a rifle that's easy to develop loads for it, offer a truckload of modification parts and irritate liberals who want greater government control and far less Individual Liberty...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.