Rifles in 300 WSM

graylake

I am looking to get a 300 WSM and would like something in a slightly heaver contoured barrel for accuracy.

I have not found anything out there so far. Does anybody have any rifle that I am missing. Or do I have to have something built.

I am looking for a rifle to be used for sheep and deer.
So I want the weight to be down slightly.

I am looking to shoot out to 500 yards.

I am looking to all of the more experienced shooters out there. I have a 30-06 that I have been using for almost 20 years and I would just like a new rifle, that I could set up for longer shooting.

The only other problem is that I am up in Alberta so some of the selection is limited.

Thanks for your help

Sid

I just purchased my first 300WSM about a month ago. Every load I've shot in it has been sub 1MOA and I found a load this morning that was well below that. Shot a .240", .304" and a couple .5" groups this morning with 165gr bullets at 3000fps.

The rifle is a Savage 12FVSS (short action, plastic stock, stainless steel, varmit contour). I put a 3.5x15x50 Nightforce NXS on top using the Dednutz one piece mount. I didn't touch the trigger, as it comes with the lighter Accutrigger.

Although the rifle is essentially stock, I did purchase a go-gauge, action vise and barrel nut wrench. I replaced the recoil lug with a machined lug and lowered the headspace from .012" to .0015". (took all of 10 minutes).

The stock is the weak link as its really flimsy, I have a Laminate A5 from Joel Russo on order, which should make it as fine a rifle as can be had for the money.

I found the rifle on Gunbroker, they can be bought (buy it now) for around $560 + shipping.

HTH,

AJ

i have the 12 BVSS but in 308 i have it in a joel russo A5 laminate but you can get them in 300wsm . i got it off of gunbroker from sportsman safari

JIM

Last edited:
If you want a detachable magazine you can get the Savage 16FCSS. I have one in 7 WSM and also have a 25 WSSM barrel for it. I also ordered mine off Gunbroker.

Shoots the 168 Berger VLDs great, although I did set it to minimum headspace with the go-gauge after switching back from 25 WSSM.

You can get a tactical bolt handle from Brownells or Sharp Shooter Supply, it takes 5 minutes to install.

I went with a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger for it because I wanted to go lower than the 3 1/2 pound Accutrigger. Couldn't find springs to lower the Accutrigger or I would have done that. I like about a 1 1/2 pund trigger ...

If you are on a budget, Savage will sell you a pillar bedded hardwood stock for it for around $150 ...

I think a laminate from Joel would be great, probably more stable than regular wood, I am considering a thumbhole ...

Last edited:
Check out FN USA, they have a nice patrol grade in 300 wsm along with their long range precision rifles.. I am also looking and have just about decided on the Rem LTR in 300 saum with an immediate rechamber to 300 wsm ,, I freakin love this caliber,, I currently own a Rem 700 sps stainless in 300 wsm with a swaro 3x12x50 , and have only adjusted the trigger, I have taken a 5x6 elk at 341, muley at 306 ,, several whitetails around 150 and one doe at 359yds.. trying to sell it now to get a custom.. See guns for sale for details and good luck..

Last summer I picked up a lightly used .300 WSM in a Win Model 70 Coyote. That version had the laminated stock, and a free-floated stainless barrel in an interesting contour that is heavier than a standard sporter rifle, but lighter than many varmint rifles. It's no problem to pack it around.

The doggone thing is scary accurate, shooting either 180 gr Sierra Gamekings or 190 gr Berger VLD's into one-hole cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.

I hope I never wear this barrel out. I don't want to mess with this rifle at all, just shoot it a bit and use it for long range/precision hunting.

You can find these used now and then for decent prices. I don't know when or if Winchester/FN will start producing them again.

Regards, Guy

I have seen that set up...once ...not for sale....buuummmmerr. It was nice...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.