Rifles for new hunter

If you want to really reach out there and bust a varmint especially when the wind gets up the 25-06 is the one I would pick. When it comes to deer the 25-06 is my favorite. I have killed well over 100 with a 25-06 and can count without taking off my shoes the ones that have taken a step after taking a 117 gr Sierra Pro Hunter from point blank out to a little over 500 yards. :D

Alright thanks. Im not going to only be hunting deer. Im gonna be mostly rock chucks and target shooting. Ive been shooting my uncles 25-06 and I really liked it. Our rock chucks are just now coming out and we've been plinking them from about 500 yards with his rifle. I really, really, really liked his rifle. But ive just been really disappointed with my current rifle, and no one seems to figure out whats wrong with it. I just want a accurate flat shooting rifle. A friend recommended the Savage 111 LRH, But like I said im a little bit worried about the light barrel. Because from what ive heard its a really hot burning round and I would assume it would heat up the barrel pretty quickly.

I think you have answered your own question. You like your Uncle's .25-06. Get one like it, or as close to it as you can find. Problem solved.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.