Rifles for 2011 Yr prairie dogs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by tuck2, May 11, 2011.

1. tuck2

tuck2 Well-Known Member

I first shot prairie dogs with a 22 LR Rem slide action rifle in 1949. Over the years I have used various brands of rifles and varmint cartridges. This year I ll be using a Rem 700 LS 221 Fireball , Rem 700 Limited Ed 17 Fireball rifles w/Leupold 6-18X AO scopes and a Cooper 57 M LVT 17 HMR rifle w/ 4-16 X AO scope. I restocked the two Remington rifles with glass bedded Boyd Thumbhole Varmint stocks. Last week I shot the rifles off a bench rest to check my reloads and adjusted the sites a bit. I have a bunch of empty cases to reload this week . Next week I ll be after the p dogs ,darn I have to drive six mile to get to the first prairie dog town.

2. jerrschmitt

jerrschmitt Well-Known Member

1949! Damn, you must be old. I was only 8 years old back then so I'm just a young guy.

I'm getting ready for my big trip out west also. I'll be bringing a .243 Ackley, two 6 BRs, a .223 and a 22 LR.

[​IMG]

3. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson Well-Known Member

CZ 455 in 22LR. My favorite rifle in the world. I have not shot an actual prarie dog, but ground squirrels sure are fun!

4. jerrschmitt

Mine is a CZ 452V. As long as the wind isn't blowing and the dogs are close, it's a lot of fun.

5. tulku

tulku Well-Known Member

Here's a heads-up if you are going to Pdog hunt on Indian Reservations . Some like Rosebud now require Lead-Free Bullets !!!

6. jerrschmitt

I just read that on another forum. I gave up on hunting the Res long ago.