Rifle Stocks

DougDownRange

Looking to buy a rifle stock for my first custom hunting rifle build in 300 win mag. I've looked at McMillan A3 sporter and the Manners EH-1 with Tac Shell. I'm kind of skeptical about buying a stock I've never held before though, Thoughts???

I took a chance and replaced the OEM stock on my Weatherby Mk V with a Bell & Carlson tactical/varmint style
2094-97_22_23_30_19.jpg

and couldn't be more pleased. It was probably risky and a lot of the reason I bought it was that I like the looks of that style stock. I like the adjustable cheek rest and length of pull. No doubt there are others that make this style and I have no idea where B&C fits into the quality spectrum, but I've had a chance to take it out and sight everything in and I really like it. My rifle is a 338-378 and always kicked like a horse, even with a brake, but for whatever reason it's really manageable with this stock. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'd never set hands on this style before I bought this one.

Boyd's , Stocky's , Manners and so many more , but I would look at them to see if that's really what you want at a local gunsmith where he has one built or might be building something with an after market stock. That is a beautiful medalist stock right there.

I have a Precision Stock Works, Rifleman stock on my 7mm wsm and I love it. Very light weight and versatile. Good high cheek weld but no beaver tail on the forearm. Nice vertical pistol grip with a substantial palm swell. I prefer it over my A3 for a hunting rifle. Fits in my pack really well too. Last I checked McMillan was making these stock for PRS. Precision Stock Works | Custom Rifle Stocks

It's difficult, no doubt. I have done it several times. Search through the forums and find folks who seem to know what they are talking about...BS filter.

I just got a build in Saturday with a McMillan A3 Sporter in EDGE. I love it, it's great for prone shooting and also feels good for general hunting, the forend at first feels a bit wide, but I love the stock...ordered another one. Good luck!

Just got my build back in October with the a3 sporter . it was hard to decide what stock I haven't ever seen one or held one. I even called a bunch of smiths around to see if they had one there I could see and touch.
I love my new rifle and am thinking of ordering another a3 sporter because I love this stock and would would like one on my light/ woods rifle.
Duane
My a3 sporter

To the OP I'm in the same boat you are. The stock weld is just such an individual thing I could not see sinking 500.00 or more into a good stock without first handling one.

I picked up the phone, called McMilian, told them my situatio and which stock I was interested in and Kathy (I think her name was Kathy) said no problem and sent me one of their house demo stocks to mess with. The cost? I paid shipping both ways.

I now own 3 McMillan's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.