Rifle Stock Build Project

Keep at it. I think you're on to something.

I'm trying to slowly work my way up through the fore end. I don't want to have to spread thin layers and wrap with the mat over the entire piece at the same time. That's way to difficult. So I'm just building up through the gun section by section. The buttstock has the most material to make up. The grip and fore end should go much faster. Especially because I won't lose so much to run off. The way I built the fore end it should help pool the resin in place and harden nicely. Then I'll just mount it up in a jig and run a router blade down the middle for a smooth perfectly straight channel for the barrel. Like I said, I'm going to try to get the correct diameter pillars tonight or tomorrow and get those locked in place so the screws have something more substantial to tighten through.

Thanks for the support keep checking in!

UPDATE

So... the buttstock is almost finished. There were very minor air bubbles that formed some pockets that need to be filled, but overall, the trigger grip and buttpiece itself are extremely close to the shape and finish I want. So... with that in mind I moved onto the foreend. A very close friend of mine is a plastics engineer with three master's degrees on the subject. It turns out, a poured resin is much stronger than a layered resin. Which is why when you layer fiberglass you use the matting to give it substance and strength. With that in mind, I opted to save some time, and pour the foreend. I took a 2.5" cardboard tube and sealed it to the trigger grip using a rubber glove and a ton of electrical tape. Then... I centered the foreend frame as best I could in the tube and filled with about 1/3 gallon of resin. We'll see tomorrow how she turns out. So long as everything hardens properly, I should have minimal sanding and layering to do. The plan is to take the stock once set up, and to align it plumb in a vise. Then I will set up a jig using plywood and runners, and take my router, and cut a channel for the barrel, and make the appropriate cuts for the action, and trigger assembly. Once I get it close, I will epoxy it in place get an absolute tight fit.

For now... enjoy the updated pics

foreend1.jpg

foreend2.jpg

Definitely faster. Took me maybe 5 mins to set it up and maybe 15 mins mixing and pouring. Not bad at all. I can't wait to rip the tube off tomorrow

FUNDAMENTAL FAILURE

The resin cured so hard it actually got brittle and cracked up in several spots. So... looks like starting over. Going to break all the fore end resin off and just do it how I did the butt stock: layer by layer. Oh well.

I commend you for the effort. No doubt you could improve if you were to repeat the exercise several times.

This is excellent advertising for HS Precision by the way.

I was concerned about spending $500 for a stock. But, I'm now convinced it's well worth it.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks and good luck!
Richard

I commend you for the effort. No doubt you could improve if you were to repeat the exercise several times.

This is excellent advertising for HS Precision by the way.

I was concerned about spending $500 for a stock. But, I'm now convinced it's well worth it.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks and good luck!
Richard

I will say that I found an HS Precision that was just over $300 that I liked. If you have the money... go for it. I would much rather have a company's warranty as well. But...

why the hell not? I'm out less than $70 at this point, and I know for a fact this thing is going to be solid as a rock when I'm down and conformed to my exact preferences. So... we'll see!

Thanks for the boost!

Okay, so after the poured resin failed on me I continued to do what I had been doing this whole time and wrap the rest of the stock layer by layer. As of today I have the entire bulk laid and hardened. All that I have to do now is sand smooth and router the edges, barrel channel, and the cut out for the action. But, the fiberglassing is over. It's just touch up work. I'm hoping to have it fine-sanded, routed and painted by the end of next week. Will post pictures soon.

PICS UPDATE

I'm still a ways away from finishing as I still need to do some router work; and I notice some air pockets that crept up on me that I need to fill up. But, so far... here is how it's coming along...I think I'm going to put a cove bit down the sides of the forend to give it some comfortable grip for the fingers, and I might carve some accented fingergrips on the triggergrip. We'll see! I'll post more as it comes long

primer1.jpg

primer2.jpg

primer3.jpg

primer4.jpg

primer5.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.