Rifle shootingt left at distance

ven

My 308 is dead on at 100 drills the same hole every time so long as in on forme.

Anyway the problem is when i adjust my elavation for distance shots the bullets creep out to the left the further you go at 500 yards it is 8 inches

I have shot on several morings when there has been not a breath of wind and the problem is the same every time.

Has anyone got any ideas this is really annoying.

Am using quality gear accuracy international rifle and schmit and bender scope.

Thanks

put you a target up at a hundred and have a horizontal line running from side to side that u know is perfectly level and vertical from top to bottom perfectly vertical.shoot at the center with your crosshairs and the lines on target lined up with your hundred yard zero and make sure it is on. then move ur elevation as many MOA as ur tartget will allow up an shoot as same place,again keeping ur crosshairs and the known horizontal and vertical lines on target lined up.if it is off then u have a problem with ur scope not being level.give it a try and let us know!good luck.

What it sounds like was happening was the cross hairs were canted and as you were putting on elevation (which would come up a little short too) you were also putting an windage. The scope levels are a great tool and really can make a difference if your rifle is canted but if the scope level itself isn't mounted perfectly level with your crosshair your rifle which appears to be level can unbeknowst to you be canted.

When I install a scope I have the gun held in a padded vise pointing out the shop door. I have a tripod with a 4' level attached out across my yard at about 50 yards and level the level. I have a small magnetic level that I made to fit inside the raceway of the actions and adjust the rifle so it's level with the raceway. I then mount the scope, remove the paralax and adjust it so the horizontal crosshair runs exactly across the top of the level. I have the magnification set so I can see about 3' of the level. Keep checking to make sure the rifle is level on the raceway. Lightly tighten the ring caps alternating from side to side and back to back. Keep checking to make sure the rifle is level and that the scope didn't roll the crosshairs out of level. Everytime I make a round of lightly tightening the ring caps a little more I re-check all my levels. Once the ring caps are all snug to spec I mount the scope level on ,and again keep checking all your levels. Now you know that the scope level is exactly level with the reticle, which is exactly level with the raceway of your rifle.

Ditto the above comments, it sounds like a canted reticle on the scope. I find it easier to hang a string with a plumb and verify the verticle crosshair. I verify the rifle is held horizontal using a yard long drywall bubble level.

JeffVN

Take a look at the thread a couple above yours about shooting to the left at 300 and to the right at 1000.
He has the same problem and I sent him a link from 6mmbr called scope level. The person called Catshooter tells you how to fix it and a lot of other information about scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.