? rifle shooters/handloaders

Snubbie

Weatherby Vanguard, 25-06, 1/10 twist.
Less than a year into reloading, I shot (100 yards) my much anticipated deer load using a 115 grain Nosler Partition. Most will know the Partition is a premium big game bullet, considered by many to be one of the best.
What a disappointment. About the best I could get was 2"+ to 2.5" group, and it threw them about 2" high and 2" left. I tried several different powder charges, 47,48 and 49 (max) grains of IMR4350 which is a go-to powder for the 25-06. No charge performed better than any other, all equally bad.

So obviously, this gun doesn't like the 115 grain Nosler Partition.

**I will add the barrel had heated up pretty good by the time I shot this load. However, I shot another load with a hot barrel(120 gr. Speer BTSP) that performed well enough to hunt and shows promise of doing better.

My questions:
1. Should I abandon this bullet altogether or is there a possibility of dramatic improvement using a different powder? I've never loaded anything that shot this badly

2. I shot several groups of just a hair over 1" using a 120 grain Speer BTSP. Would moving up to a 120 grain Partition make much difference or would it be best to continue experimenting with the Speer and, again, just forget the Partition altogether?

I'm not hung up on the Nosler Partition, just that it is considered a very effective hunting bullet. Some have no hesitation using the 25-06 for elk with the Partition, and do it effectively. But I don't want to spend a lot of time trying different combos, on an EXPENSIVE bullet, if there is little chance of "hitting the sweet spot" and finding the magic combination.

Last edited:
Snubbie,

I am a novelist when it comes to reloading. I have played around with it for a while but I probably only reload 300-500 rounds a year tops for all my rifles, my wife's rifles, and my boys rifle. So I am by no means and expert on reloading. Having said that one of the rifles I do reload for is the Winchester 270, which is a comparable cartridge to the Remington 25-06. I would expect the reload data for the 25-06 to be similar to the 270. Looking over your data I think that you have ether missed typed something or I am showing my knowledge of reloading. But 28 grains of IMR 2350 does not sound right to me. In any event I would suggest that you give H4831SC or H4350 a go in your 25-06. A heavy dose (58-60 grains) of those powders make my 270 shine.

400bull

I'd imagine you meant 4350 not 2350 for powder and if so 28 grains is very light. I shoot Nosler 110's with 49.5 gr of IMR 4350 or 48 grains H4350.

Don't give up, the reasons for reloading other than cost reduction is to find that Magic Pill that will produce for you and the rifle. Dont be affriad to try other bullet makers, but make sure you have done the basics on the gun its self

-Free floated barrel
-Proper cleaning and break-in
-Action Screws
-Trigger work if you are comfortable doing so
-Bedded Action

Also when testing your loads just shoot for groups and then for accuracy, when you find that right load. It's all about the effort and rewards when the combination is found.

Have fun and enjoy the shooting gun)

Thanks for the replies.

You sharp eyes caught some mistakes. Sorry for the, uh, "sorry" information so to clarify:

Yes, it was IMR 4350 and my 3 test loads were with 47, 48 and 49 grains with 49 being a MAX load in the Nosler Manual for the 115 grain Partition.

I've made corrections. Thanks for catching my typos.

Also have you tried varying your seating depth? That can make a huge difference in how well your gun groups.

I also highly recommend replacing or having trigger work done. I put a timney on my vanguard and it went from shooting ok to shooting great!

A Timney is on my "wishlist" and will be obtained soon.

I'm currently seating at .020 off the lands. I figure once I find a "promising" load/bullet combination then I will start tinkering with seating depths and .10 increments in powder charges, and different powders.

I question the point and productivity of doing this with a bullet(Nosler Partition) that's shooting 2.5" groups and slinging high and left. Seems more productive to try another bullet and tweak the 1" group I got with the Speer bullet.

I've got a 75 grain Sierra Varminter that I got a 5 shot .557" group on my first load, obviously this gun likes this combination.

I'd LOVE to get results similar to the above with a deer load. However, I can be satisfied with a deer load in the 100-120 grain load that shoots sub 1".

I'm just doubtful I can get there with a 115 grain Nosler Partition.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.