Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?

First let me say I like the direction your going with this rifle, however, I just thought I'd point out that a 6.5-20 scope and match grade barrel are not necessary in a "500yd." rifle. You are putting together a 1000yd. rifle by the sounds of it which is what I would do in your shoes but just wanted to make sure you are aware of the fact your jumping in pretty deep for a "500yd." deer rifle. I would also like to know if you reload your own ammo. If not a match grade barrel is only as good as the ammo you feed it. That's not to say you can't buy some excellent factory ammo that would perform well in a custom tube. Hint: HSM as I mentioned earlier.
I would suggest slowing down a bit to give yourself more time to know what you really need to achieve your goals. Just buy a Savage model 10 chambered in .308, put your scope on it and go shoot it. Get comfortable shooting that and worry about upgrades as you see fit. You might be surprised at how easy shooting to 500 yds. is. You might also realize as you gain experience and knowledge that in order to build a true 1000 yd. rifle you might just do it differently than your talking about doing this one. Don't get me wrong like I said I like what your thinking, I just don't want you to spend money you don't have to to achieve 500yd. accuracy. If you think you might want to shoot further then that's where your wallet starts getting lighter! Just remember you could spend $1,000,000 on a rifle if you want to but that does not mean you'll be accurate with it. That takes a lot of shooting. I say burn up a factory barrel learning the ropes instead of a custom barrel. Learn about barrel break in and scope alignment testing, box tests, load testing all before you worry about shooting 1000 yds. All of those things will give you the confidence in yourself and your equipment which is what it takes to shoot long range. I'm just another fish in this pond so take what I tell you with a grain of salt like you should anything else. Good luck and have fun!!!

I want to also learn how to reload ammo because I think it will fun. I truly understand what your saying, I've read a lot and decide i would spend some money on a scope that I should not be growing out of at anytime. The savage 10 will be the gun I plan on getting in the 308. Practice with what I got and grow for there. Just still deciding on a left or right hand rifle since I'm right eye dominate but a lefty? Seeing what would be a better side to shot from in the long hall? I play golf righty and put lefty

Last edited:
If you are right eye dominant, you will definately want to shoot right handed. Lots of good advice on this thread so far, especially the one that told you to slow down with this "build".
See if you can find a good deal on a used .308, mount your scope and get out shooting. By buying a used rifle you may save enough to sneak in a reloading press and some components and still stay in budget.
You said that you don't have a lot of shooting experience- get a used .22 as well. In fact, I think I'd get the .22 before the reloading setup.
I know that at the moment you cannot buy .22 shells but that WILL change and when it does you will shoot it for a very small fraction of what it'll take to shoot that .308 (or any other centerfire).
The most critical part of becoming a good shot is to shoot a LOT, whether it's a .22 or a .308 doesn't matter- you need a lot of trigger time to become a good shot!
Good luck!!!

Ron

$200 used Stevens/Savage action

Stockys Stocky Bobby Hart LR special $300 or a lesser model

Prechambered or used barrel from the forums or vendors at www.savageshooters.com for $300 or less.

used 300 win mag heavy sporter barrel there now for $120, several used custom built guns for under $1k or right at .

Might be very easy to find complete used rifle for decent price on that site.

EGW 20-30 MOA base $60
TPS Rings $60

Believe it or not, the Konus M30 6.5x25 MIL/MIL scope new for $320 used $250

IF only for 500, then 308 IF for 1k, then 300 Win Mag. 398 is 38-40 MOA at 1k while the Win mag is 27-28 MOA, 6.5 creedmore is 27-28 MOA at 1 k also.

IF you reload buy a 6.5 Creedmore barrel. Much cheaper to shoot than the 308, much flatter and available for the savage.

Just got my nephew a Savage Predator hunter for $746. Accutrigger, accustock heavy fluted barrel in a .260 (a more than capable 5-1000 yard shooter)

Hi,

I have one of the Marlin X7's in .25-06. It will put two out of three bullets in one hole (@ 100yd.). It got it for arround $425 with a package scope. Works well enough, and I plan to upgrade the scope this year to a Vortex Viper HS LR. Once it is all said and done i will have cost arround $1200.

Didn't read all the posts, but did see that there were some stevens 200 builds. I went this route, and feel it was a really fun and easy way to go. I bought a 200 25/06 for yotes and deer. I shopped around and upgraded as I went. It ended up as a long action 308 with a boyds thumb hole, savage ba tactical knob, sss trigger, 22" heavy varmint green mt barrel, vortex hs 4-16x50, nightforce lw rings, egw base, and of course devcon bedded and floated. Working on loads now, but is a consistent 1/2 moa gun. Price was right around $1000, and that was with a few "extras" like the bolt knob and parker and hale bipod and considering I didn't sell my old parts like barrels and stock to offset costs. Most things were bought used or on ebay, and I did the work myself. I also have a 7mm mag barrel and a .25/06 barrel in case I feel the need to switch back. Its fun, and addicting.

Attachments

• 2013-04-12_12-47-02_737.jpg
    2013-04-12_12-47-02_737.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 10
Just bought a Savage 6.5x284 LONG RANGE Hunter for $800.00 new,and probably the last Vortex Viper
6.5-24 PA Vplex for $279.00.Man am I a happy camper!:)

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.