Rifle pack

Rifle Packs

I use a eberlestock gunslinger and my 2 sons have Badlands. When it comes to packing a rifle with a pack you might want to look at a Kifuru GunBearer. These can be put on any pack of your choice that have a shoulder strap and belt. I have the built in option on the eberlestock and have not used it in the last 3 years except to use as a storage pouch. These things really work and are worth every penny - especially in really steep country where you need both hands or when your constantly using your binos. GUNBEARER
We're in Mt. and most of the time we bone out and pack out or meat - The kifaru holds your rifle and no interference with the meat.
I have tried every pack I can get my hands on that will hold your rifle in some way. After 10-12 hrs. you'll figure out what is comfortable.

You might take a look at Nimrod packs they have several options for a combo type pack plus a good scabbard design. Nimrodpacks.com

Thanks for all the response on my question. I ended up ordering an Eberle back J104 . I was going to go with the J107 but was not in stock.I looked at some of the other posts suggestions, but liked the Ebele features the best.

Call sagecreek outfitters -about the badlands packs -if memory serves it's a pouch for the rifle butt to sit in on the right side of the pack.

Backpack w/ scabbard

Concerning the question of which pack to purchase. I am sure you would get 10 different responses if you asked 10 different hunters. I haul an Elberstock J107, A friend of mine hauls a Badlands. We are both limited by a blue collar budget.

Observations between the two packs. Elberstock is about 2 pounds heavier than the Badlands. Badlands harness molds to the body better. Elberstock harness has more adjustment options. Badlands is not expandable. Elberstock is expandable by adding extra section = extra weight. Badlands has lots of pockets in various areas. Elberstock has well placed compartments with (my experience) better placed pockets. Both haul rifles.

My experience with the elberstock is that the rifle is easy to pull from the scabbard - without removing the pack. My friends Badlands model has the rifle lashed into the pack; he has to drop the pack to pull the rifle. Both packs are made of soft material and are very quiet. Elberstocks choice of hydration packs are the best I have seen. (I have been hiking for 20+ years and have been through many water bladders). You can hang more stuff from the elberstock pack than the Badlands, which once again = more weight.

Several conversations with pro hunt guides led me to purchace the elberstock. Those guys claim to have packed out entire Bull Elk w/ rack with the elberstock.

After using my elberstock my friend with the badlands is saving up to purchace an one. However, both packs are of excellent quality. It just depends upon your personel preference of load configuration.

As a thought, you could purchase both on a visa, mail order, and send back the one you do not like. I was fortunate. We have a Sportsmans store in Ely Nevada and I was able to compare the Badland and elberstock pack side to side. That was the only way I could really choose which one fit my hunting style best.

Final Thought: For a day hunter from the trailhead Badlands is a good choice. For the pack it in for a week hunter - Elberstock is a good choice.

Nvhunter,

hello. Do you have the J107H or M? I cannot locate a store locally that has an M to determine if the additional width in the scabbard will be overkill or just right to fit my rifle. I've been told if you have a larger scope with Bipod then go with the M series. I've looked at the H model with a scopeless rifle in the scabbard and it didn't look to have much more room to accomodate what i'm looking to accomplish.

Thanks,
Jeff

Elbrestock Scabbard Size

Jmermis,

I haul the J107 w/ standard scabbard. It easily accomodates a Voere 2165 30.06 with a Leupold VX-III 40mm scope. The rifle still has an inch or two of room, but fits snugly enough in the scabbard.

If the pack had a larger scabbard than the rifle, I do not think that would be a problem. It is a soft bag with a internal aluminum frame. It has compression straps that mount to the back frame area and you can really chinch up this pack tight when hauling.

I will measure the scabbard compartment when I get off shift and post the dimensions for the J107 Scabbard for you. That should give you the best idea of how the standard scabbard would fit your rifle.

If you have additional questions about the pack I would suggest calling the manufacturer. I hear that they are very friendly and have offered "package discounts" to some here in the forum when they have called. Never hurts to ask.

Elberstock Scabbard size

Jmermis,

The scabbard dimensions on the j107 pack are 6x3x34. 6 inches tall (gun and scope height) 3 inches wide (width of rifle) and 34 inches long (length of rifle). As I had stated this is a soft scabbard. It will "give" to conform to the rifle even if the height of rifle and scope are a bit over 6 inches.

I think the wide scabbard may be more intended for a rifle, scope and mounted tripod. But, I have not seen that pack and that is only an assumption.

Nvhunter,

hello. Great. thanks for taking the time to get the measurements. I've spoke to Eberlestock and their recommendations are if you have a larger magnum rifle with a larger Nightforce or similar style plus a bipod to go with the "M" version of the pack. This is based on being able to pull the rifle out easier without it binding up.

Thanks again,

jeff

Nvhunter,

hello. Great. thanks for taking the time to get the measurements. I've spoke to Eberlestock and their recommendations are if you have a larger magnum rifle with a larger Nightforce or similar style plus a bipod to go with the "M" version of the pack. This is based on being able to pull the rifle out easier without it binding up.

Thanks again,

jeff

Kifaru's packs utilize the 'Gunbearer' already spoken of in this thread. The rifle is at your ready faster than if it was slingled on your shoulder. In fact, I don't carry a sling at all--there's no need for it--one less item to worry about and less weight and bulk overall. The Gunbearer can be added to nearly any pack (my brother has it on a Lowe pack), it probably adds maybe 4 oz to your pack weight (how much extra weight and bulkl does the Eberlestock scabbard add?) and I would be willing to bet that I if my rifle was a shotgun, l like I've mentioned before, I could kill a pheasant before you could get your rifle out of the scabbard in Eberlestock. Also the rifle it right at hand, so it can be controlled a bit if you're doing some serious bushwacking. Lightweight, strong and very functional.

Kiafru vs. Elbrestock?

Jmden,

I had not seen the gunbearer on the kaifru. I viewed it on the web and it looks like a good design. If I still lived in the rolling hills of Texas or on the East Coast I could definatelly use that setup.

The Eberlestock scabbard is integral to the pack. Being part of the pack it does not add weight as other accessory scabbards may do.

I tend to avoid the "which product is better" discussions. Bottom line - we all have different needs. For myself, I assend and decend vertical face cliffs at the worst, and hike through dense mountain mohogany stands at best. Having my rifle (Voere 2165 30.06 pre-1980) protected on my back in the pack is my best option.

My hunting style does not require rifle at hand. I prefer the stalk with a shooter spotter team. Besides, it only takes me about 8 seconds to pull, shoulder, sight and fire from scabbard to shot.

I do not think any pack is the best. I just know which one is best for me.

You may take pride in shooting faster than I do. Myself, I am not in competition with any other hunter. My adversary is the game.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.