Rifle pack

trueblue

I have tried a search 3 times, to no avail, so I will just ask the question.
What packs are you guys using to carry your heavy LR rifles in, and where can they be purchased? I have to date only heard of Eberly pack, but can't seem to find them with a google search. Thanks for the assistance.

I have tried a search 3 times, to no avail, so I will just ask the question.
What packs are you guys using to carry your heavy LR rifles in, and where can they be purchased? I have to date only heard of Eberly pack, but can't seem to find them with a google search. Thanks for the assistance.
Heres a link on Eberlesstock packs.
Eberlestock

I like the eberlestock for my rifle hunts but for my bow hunts when i pack in i use the badlands. The badlands on the longer hikes just seem to fit me better. Ny $.02

I have the Eberlestock JS107 Dragonfly and It is Awesome. You have easy access to your rifle, you are hands free, and It will hold more stuff than you can probably carry. I personally won't own another pack.

kifaru

I have a Kifaru Hauler. It's comfortable and great for packing heavy loads. The gun bearer is nice. I got mine before they got expensive. Hands down, the best pack frame I've used.

Here's a link:
Freighter

Check out the new M3 Operator pack from Eberlestock. I am ordering one within the next few days after I get the sample colors. There is a great review for it on Snipers paradise.com . Apparently their best pack to date ?

Cheers

DUH

I have the Eberlestock J104. Awesome pack. Can carry everything i could ever need including my rifle very comfortably. Great packs.

I have a Kifaru Hauler. It's comfortable and great for packing heavy loads. The gun bearer is nice. I got mine before they got expensive. Hands down, the best pack frame I've used.

Here's a link:
Freighter

Bingo...

I've hiked/climbed/bushwacked thousands of miles with many types of packs from daypacks with 10 lb loads to 130+ lbs loads cross country bushwacking in the North Cascades, etc. and for a hunting pack that carries your gun comfortably yet in a way that is quick enough to get in to action that if it was a shotgun, that pheasant would be dead...well, I haven't seen anything that touches what Kifaru does. I can just look at how the Eberlestock packs are made and realize that I don't want one--jmho. The owner of Kifaru used to own Mountainsmith and made some pretty good stuff. He has a good idea of what lightweight, strong and functional specifically for hunting means. I don't see that with most the 'other' brands. They are custom made to your dimensions and when you get an elk quarter strapped onto the freighter platfrom and carry it for miles and have many other packs to compare to as I have had, you'll understand what I mean. No, I'm not biased! :) Good luck.

take a look at this months Eastmans hunting journal magazine. they did some reveiws on most of the packs people here are recomending.

jmden,
How does the rifle scabbard sit on the Kifaru pack ? Is it side mounted and does the weight feel offcentered on the pack ? Also, which Kifaru pack do you use ?

jmden,
How does the rifle scabbard sit on the Kifaru pack ? Is it side mounted and does the weight feel offcentered on the pack ? Also, which Kifaru pack do you use ?

You can go to Kifaru.com and see it. However, mine does not at all have the rifle in a straight up on your side configuration. Mine rifle more naturally angles from my right hip across my chest. I've found that I really like this. It's quite adjustable, so you can do want you want in terms of raising or lowering the butt and how much slack the strap attached to the shoulder strap has and mine just ends up across my chest. I rarely even notice it unless I'm into some really nasty bushwacking or a small bit of technical rock climbing. Even then it's not bad as the end of the barrel does not extend past my head (26" barrel--30" with brake will obviously cause more problems, but it'll cause more problems no matter how you carry it.). Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.