Rifle instructor in Oregon

The Oregonian

I am looking to get comfortable up to 300 to 400 yds in hunting situations / positions.

I know holland and thunder ranch have long range schools, but not sure if that is beyond my capabilities yet. I want to get 3-400 yds down before I start on the long range stuff. I would plan to do a LRH school like that after I get the basics down.

I am not looking for a beginning rifle safety class, just want instruction on how to improve my shooting. I am a member at tri-county in Portland but they don't offer instruction.

Des anyone know of a class or instructor that I should look into? I am thinking 1x1 time at a range within a reasonable distance from Portland. I would expect a few of these sessions, with time in between for me to practice what I learn.

Thx in advance.

Also a member at Tri county. There is a guy named Doug Crecelius that runs On Target Solution otsnw.com from Tri County. He usally dose a couple free classes at the range each year.

He also dose some more advanced classes during the summer. If you are looking to get some basics look him up.

My other solution and how I got started, go to a 600 yard shoot. They shoot every Tuesday night and the third Saturday. There are a lot of guys there that are very willing to help out. If your not comfortable, go and ask some questions.

If you have a gun with a 100 yrd zero ,show up early and have some one get you on target at 300 and just GO SHOOT! We use 6 foot square target backers, if you can keep a round on the cardboard, you are safe enough to keep shooting.

Go with a open mind, ask questions, and learn. I started that way 8 years ago.

Willys46. Aka Cody H.

Also a member at Tri county. There is a guy named Doug Crecelius that runs On Target Solution otsnw.com from Tri County. He usally dose a couple free classes at the range each year.

He also dose some more advanced classes during the summer. If you are looking to get some basics look him up.

My other solution and how I got started, go to a 600 yard shoot. They shoot every Tuesday night and the third Saturday. There are a lot of guys there that are very willing to help out. If your not comfortable, go and ask some questions.

If you have a gun with a 100 yrd zero ,show up early and have some one get you on target at 300 and just GO SHOOT! We use 6 foot square target backers, if you can keep a round on the cardboard, you are safe enough to keep shooting.

Go with a open mind, ask questions, and learn. I started that way 8 years ago.

Willys46. Aka Cody H.

Hi, I live just north of portland in Columbia City. I shot Hi Power NRA matches years ago and I have been looking for a 600 or longer yard range.

Is it Tri-County the range that goes out to 600 or can you point me in the direction of what range you are talking about please.

Ya Tri conty has a 600 yard range. It is open ever Tuesday night and the third Saturday of the month. Not in September due to hunter sight in days.

Douglas ridge has a 1000 yard range but it is only open on Thursday's I believe. I have shot out their a couple times.

Feel free to pm me and I can shoot you my cell number is you have any questions.

Willys46. Aka Cody

I went to the Holland class this last May and would highly recomend it to anyone who wants to not only shoot further, but wants to understand the math and concepts of long range shooting. It is a very intense class and you will be over whelmed at first, but it does come together by the 3rd and 4th day. The targets are 260 to 700 yards plus. The best part of the class for me was getting good instruction on sizing up wind. Darrells range will have up to three zones of wind you will learn how to pick apart the various zones get the dope for the shot.

We had two hunters from back east. One is from Michigan and the other shooter was from Georgia. Neither man had shot at any thing over 200 yards. They were Whitetail treestand hunters and most of there shots have been 100 yards or less. By the end of the class they were both ringing steel out to the 775 targets consistently.

Lots of shooting time, we were told to bring 300 rounds and I think I shot all but about 50 rounds. If you go make sure you ask questions. In my class no one was asking questions at first and everyone was lost. I started by asking the questions everyone else wanted to but were not asking. Darrell is very patient and will go over the material until you understand.

For me the class pulled together everything I was trying to learn on my own, but with Darrells system it just puts in all in box that for me made sense.

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.