Rifle Hunting Turkeys; Anyone here do it?

I've been turkey hunting since the early 70's. I lived in Va. then and rifles were legal and still are. I've killed lots of birds with several different rifles. Light loaded 222, 22 mag, 22 hornet, 22 long rifle, round ball black powder, sabot pistol bullets with black powder. Most of mine at that time were body shots, in the wing base or high back. I quit about 1980 and went to shotgun only because i got more out of the calling than the shooting. You guys that head shoot, that's the way to go with a rifle. I still like fall hunting with open sight black powder round ball and body shots. It's just a matter of choice where legal and you gotta make it fun for you!

That's the only way I've taken turkey. Must be 22mag or bigger in WY. The last ones I shot were at 250 yds. Patients on waiting for that head to hold still.

I killed my first turkey this year with my 7mm magnum. bullet hit just above the breast along with aframe's it didn't tear any meat up.

For me it was a rush to get my first turkey he was a nice one in fact, had a 9in beard.

However, I now understand why people like to use shotguns to hunt them, the reach of a rifle along with a love struck tom made for an easy kill. Next time I go, I will use my shotgun, i'll still bring my rifle just incase hogs show up though.

I killed my first turkey this year with my 7mm magnum. bullet hit just above the breast along with aframe's it didn't tear any meat up.

For me it was a rush to get my first turkey he was a nice one in fact, had a 9in beard.

However, I now understand why people like to use shotguns to hunt them, the reach of a rifle along with a love struck tom made for an easy kill. Next time I go, I will use my shotgun, i'll still bring my rifle just incase hogs show up though.
Sorry guys that's not turkey hunting with a rifle

In Texas it is legal to hunt Rio grande hens and toms during fall dear season but not the Eastern Turkey. At one time no Rim fires were allowed. During the spring turkey season, tom's only with only one eastern can be taken with a shot gun only.

So we will try to get a hen during rifle season for Thanksgiving and occasionally a tom if he presents himself. I have heard some say that it was not sporting and my reply is what's sporting about using a shot gun at 20 or 30 yards compared to a rifle head shot at 300+yards.

We don't do body shots for a good reason. Most of the time we are hunting with a deer rifle and the damage is not acceptable. (At least in our camp).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Like many others I prefer calling them in also, But during the fall they don't respond and most of the time long shots are all you will get.

I find it very satisfying to make a head or neck shot on a turkey at long range, but I have to agree that I prefer calling. but when that doesn't work, I will use the rifle and challenge my shooting.

I also liked hunting them with a bow,. now that is sport !

Its all fun If you make it.

J E CUSTOM

If they get that populated let me know I will come help lower the numbers.

I grew up hunting turkeys but only with a shotgun in the spring. That is the sport of it to me, fooling a old Tom I am a sweet talking hen and watching him strut his stuff and the shooting him up close. They tried to pass hunting rifle hunting turkeys here but it was just a very unsafe proposition here in Florida. A bullet on a hit or missed turkey can travel a ways. If it is legal and safe have at it. I love turkey fried, roasted, grilled, barbecued and with green eggs and ham.

Thanks

Buck

Don't be so narrow minded. I was hunting turkey, specifically. I was using my rifle, specifically.
Pretty sure I was "hunting turkey's with a rifle".
I'm not being narrow minded, I'm just trying to explain to you guys that hunting turkeys with a rifle you miss the true spirit of Turkey hunting (period) . Turkeys in Texas and the mid west are easy prey to began with , add a rifle and it s no sport anymore.

Just a different kind of hunting. No different then someone shooting long range {1000yds}, compared to 2-400 yds for a deer. Shoot turkey in the head at 200yds or more yds.
They are a pest out here, in a lot of areas. Shoot um.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.