Rifle for my GF daughter

westcoasthunter

What calibre would you suggest for a lightweight hunting rifle low recoil no break and good for up to 300 yards on game up to elk for now om sure it wont be past 200yards , as a kid i had no problem with my 243 and 308 for deer bear and elk shot placement was key, but was kinda thinking maybe 6.5 creed, 7-08 , will be a factory rifle shooting factory ammo. This will be for a small 12yr old girl.

I would also look at the 7mm-08. They usually shoot good and the recoil is not bad. The 7mm-08 would be good for everything, with a good bullet and shot placement.

For a rifle, you could look at a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact or a Ruger American All Weather Compact. These have a shorter length of pull and shorter barrel for weight.

Hornady also makes Custom-Lite loads for this round and many others. I have not tried them yet, but will soon. I have a7mm-08 that I am going to start to working on for my kids.

What calibre would you suggest for a lightweight hunting rifle low recoil no break and good for up to 300 yards on game up to elk for now om sure it wont be past 200yards , as a kid i had no problem with my 243 and 308 for deer bear and elk shot placement was key, but was kinda thinking maybe 6.5 creed, 7-08 , will be a factory rifle shooting factory ammo. This will be for a small 12yr old girl.

Both excellent choices! I started my boys before age 10 with a Carl Gustav 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser carbine 18" barrel with 140g pills; it has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong.:D

Chambering availability would depend which rifle company you go with.

For your chambering choices, Savage Arms has very nicely priced offerings (including package deals) ... and they are shooters right out of the box.

In factory load, 7mm-08 would be my pick. We have two Model Seven Remingtons, one in the .243 youth, another in .260 in the regular stock.
Both are fine rifles, and several children in the family have taken their first deer with them.
I'm a big fan of the .260 round, but you'll find a better selection of factory ammo in the 7mm-08.

Started my two oldest grand sons on a 7mm-08 after a lot of time on scoped rim fire. They always shoot hand loads and never had issues with recoil. I have a friend whose daughter killed her first muley and cow elk with her 7mm-08. Good luck

A lot depends on the style of hunting you anticipate. Plenty of good caliber/cartridge choices.

I like something that fits/carries easily for the kid involved to be somewhat independent.

The Ruger Compact is working well for us right now. Anything on the .308 case performs well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.