Rifle Color Patterns Camo or otherwise, a question?

Kinda hoping it comes out looking kinda like SS7MM's stock on his 7mmAM, that one looks **** nice

steve

Steve:

That one is 50% dark gray, 25% black and 25% white. Remember that McMillan's colors don't always come out exactly like you think they will. I thought this one would have had a little more black in it, but I like it like it is. Richard's stock on his 277AM was supposed to be the same as this one but it turned out different also.

335714.JPG

335718.JPG

My hunting buddy has his 270 AM back at Kirby's getting a new McMillan hunter put on and it should be the same color combination.

man that is a nice lookin stock

I am sure I will like ours great as long as it doesnt look like it belongs on National Geographic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cant have my new BIG BOY wearing a zebra outfit!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ballistic64,

I don't think you "really" want to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Every thing about that paint job is proto-type. I'm into this airbrush thing about 3 weeks.......

Wait a year and we'll see what it evolves to.....

Went to the local body shot and scrounged a pint of resin and hardner. Covered the stock with that, just a light coat. When it was workable I sanded it smooth.

Pattern was as close as I could duplcate russian olive branches. Took bunches of pics and photoshop'd and just went for it.

Paint is Burnt Umber under Wicker White. The white is layered just enough to somewhat match the snow in the back yard.

Printed pattern on paper. Then covered pattern with Glad Press & Seal and cut the branches out. Not easy.....Layed out the press & seal cutouts in a pattern that pretty much created an anxiety attack. At first every thing looked like antlers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NOTE: a better way is to use Scotch Masking tape #233 (1/8" x 60yd) Lay it on in a pattern you like, sharpen the ends w/the exacto and go from there. You could then carefully "weather" the edges just a bit after the tape is removed. This would be more for the human eye than the coyote....

After the brown base coat was ready the branch patterns were pressed firmly in place . I applied the white. Going lightly until I could pretty much match the snow in the back yard. (by the way the snow changes shades as the sun moves, never figured that)

I'd paint, go outside and compare shades, over and over till I gave up.

Then I painted the barrel and action. (This was after bead blasting the barrel and action to rough it up a bit and remove what little blue was remaining.) Brown went on first then a spray of white.

Didn't have the guts to paint the scope.

Scratched the gord for an idea..... Went to the local canvas shop and bought some regular old tent canvas.

Layed the scope over a piece of paper and created a pattern. Had to dip into the 6th grad math for that. C=pi*d. Did some fudging around the turrets and rings.

Cut the scope out with the wife's serger. Had to sneak it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Canvas frays easily....

Used a zig zag stitch, one of "her" other machines, around the ring and turret cutouts.

Hand painted the pattern on the scope cover. Again first attempts looked too much like antlers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Used needle and threat to fit the cover to the scope. (More design work needed with this part.)

Paints, what kind of paint your ask? Remember this is practice for spraying more expensive paints, and more worthy rifles........and learning to do a much better job....

Went to Wally World, in the crafts/fabric section (you may want to wear a disguise (not camo! - always a bunch of women hanging around a big flat table that you'd just love to have for a reloading/project bench). They have that look that says "What is HE! doing here?"

There are racks paint in all kinds of colors. I used the paint with little bird houses on the cap indiating "outdoor use". Figured I might even take this rifle hunting if the paint job worked out....

Its inexpensive, less than 2 bucks a bottle and makes enough airbrush paint to paint a house. Plus I got bunches of brownie points when I painted my wife's nic/nac shelf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The paint seems pretty tough also, but nothing like you would want to use on a "real" rifle, as my Ithaca 51 cringes and scoots to the back of the safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I didn't mention the several emails with pics for evaluation and suggestions to Buffalobob. Thanks Jim.

FWIW there ya are....

You should post that picture of you with the "uncamoflaged" rifle and your neighbor's french poodle you shot, or was it a chow?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

as my Ithaca 51 cringes and scoots to the back of the safe.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks Roy,I was basically wondering what you went through.Ive always wanted to try my hand at painting a stock but never had the guts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy,
That's some serious aestetic improvement. Bet the neighborhood dogs will agree.And in the spring, ya can do it again. My car? Tell ya what, I'll let ya practice on the wifes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Well, mabey the ex-wifes. Nobody needs two of those.

7mm,
That is one purty rig. Made my heart pound. Thought I'd logged onto the wrong site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts