Rifle Chioces?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by skip AI, Sep 18, 2005.

1. skip AI

skip AI Well-Known Member

I still have not purchased a rifle in .300WSM yet because I just cant make up my mind on what to get, Its abit of a toss up between the Ruger All-Weather and the Browning A-Bolt Hunter, the Ruger as usual will need a trigger job, but it is a very reliable feeding and ejecting rifle, the Browning on the other hand has a low bolt lift which is very cool and a detachable mag that is attached to the floorplate (correct me if Ive used the wrong terms).
    I have held both rifles and both come up nice and I like the actions.
    What do you think I should get?
    The big deal is that Im after a bit of out of the box accuracy, something that will group well to 350m.

TIA

skip
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Charles A

Charles A Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The big deal is that Im after a bit of out of the box accuracy, something that will group well to 350m.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've already made your choice then. Rugers arent really known for there accuracy.

3. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

Hi Skip,
    For out of the box accuracy can i suggest a Tikka T3 which is available in 300 WSM.
    Out of the two you have suggested though, i would go for the A-bolt.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Gotta ask yourself if ... down the line youare gonna want to do more with this rifle...

I don't know a gunsmith that will or like to work on a browning action.. and Rugers aren't real popular either.

Winnny or Rem.. would be my chice with an instant ( right after purchase) accuraization to start with.

5. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

Re: Rifle Choices?

What's wrong with the Ruger trigger? They are very easy to tune up to a nice crisp 2 pounds. That is if you have 30 minutes, a wet stone, flat screwdriver, dental tool to push the pins out with and a small scale to measure pull weight with.

6. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

I've got an a-bolt ss and it's pretty nice. As to the rugers I had acouple that have been rebarreled etc and never found a gunsmith yet that wouldn't work on one. I was at the range Fri and was shooting next to a guy with a Browning a-bolt ss stalker in 300mag and we were at the 200yr line he put 3 shot in less than an inch tried another load had just alittle over 1" for 3 shot. I had a tikka t-3 in 300wsm and it shot the same as the browning as to groups. I think if you when over to www.shortmag.org you get better input as to the ruger rifles in 300wsm. I haven't seen one yet at our club so really cann't comment. Well good luck.

7. skip AI

skip AI Well-Known Member

The Tikkas I agree are a very nice outfit smooth bolt, nice trigger very accurate, I have used 2, both in 30-06 and shot very well straight out of the box.
    I thought I would get a Browning for something different and after handling the A-Bolt Hunter (not s/s) the decision was basically made but then I was showed the ruger and for the price they were a good thing, but I go by "you get what you pay for", so the Browning had nearly won.
    I thought I would chuck the options onto this forum to get some personnal experience that some of you have obviously had, and for your reply's I thank you.
    I will get the Browning, I will post some pics when I start load development, I shoud have the rifle before the weekend so im excited.
    The rifle will be topped with Leupold rings and bases and a Leupold VX-1 2-7X33 (to start off with).

Thanks again

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif