rifle build

Go with a M-16 hinge pinned style extractor instead of the Sako. What else ya' gonna' build? Or do they just require one rifle?

I will second (or third) the RUM for your build, I think you will be much happier with how things go together, also as the above quote says, I prefer & recommend the M-16 style over the Sako.

I would recomend going with a magnum boltface cartridge and a M16 style extractor
because the 378 case head is very large and it doesn't leave much room for any kind
of extractor except the factory Remington and they require special machining.

The Remington actions are strong enough just a little on the small side for the 378 case head.

I normally use a Weatherby Mark 5 action for the Lapua or 378 size case head.

I to like the M16 style extractor better than the Sako. The Mark 5 uses a M16 style extractor.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

The M16 style is retained with a 'hinge' pin, Sako style by spring tension. Forget the .22-250 on a small ring Mauser, unless it's a small ring '98, even the I don't care for the 'small ring'/ large (1.100"x12 tpi) thread. Makes for a thin wall section where it may be needed. And if you're thinkin' pre '98 small ring, you're dealing with ancient technology. No "Mauser collar", no guide rib on the bolt, no safety lug, cocks on closing and even earlier methods of case hardening (although I've had to use a carbide drill to get thru the 'case' on several Swedish '96s, probably the best of the pre '98 Mausers but still, cocks on closing).

Last edited:
gunsmithintraining, I also think the Rum is better suited to the 700 action than the .30 x .378. One of the premium barrel makers, I think Dan Lilja, doesn't recommend the 700 for the .378 based cartridges. When I sign off, I'm going to check his website to see.

Shortgrass, Outlaw 6, JE Custom, do ya'll know of anyone who makes a drilling jig for locating the hinge pin for the M-16 extractor? It's the hardest part of installing that extractor. I did one, and have avoided them since because of that one operation.

Gunsmithintraining, if someone makes a drilling jig, try to get one. If not, take some time and make one yourself. It would be a great project, and a big help every time you have to change a Rem extractor. The Sako extractor is O.K. with me, but I've only done 3 of them.

Shortgrass runs a quality operation. He has helped me several times by P/M, and I watch the board for his posts and replies.

I hope the school really pays off for you. If I wasn't so old (and cranky) I'd like to go myself.

Good luck, Tom

Tom, best way I know of to locate the hinge pin hole exactly 90 deg. to the extractor cut on M16 style extractors is to use a dividing head. No guessing that way, it's all done 'by the numbers'.

Gunsmithintraining, It was on Lilja's website. From his homepage, click on Custom Actions and then the article on .378 Wby cases on Rem 700 actions. Also, there's a topic on bolt lug strength.

Shortgrass, the biggest problem for me was locating the hole back from the tangent across the top of the extractor slot. Axial location and perpindicularity were fairly easy, but the setback from the top surface of the extractor was problematic and is critical. I don't have an edge finder. Just dawned on me that would sure make it easier. But a drilling jig that could just be clamped into a milling vise and would hold the bolt in proper rotation, could align the hole under the drill just by moving the table in the X and Y axes without having to indicate table movement, and guide the drill without having to use a spotting drill or making a small flat with an endmill. For me, I estimate it would save at least 1 hour, and make the M-16 extractor easier to install than the Sako style. What do you think?

Thanks yet again, Tom

Would like opinions on custom actions please
For the money Stiller, Also Defiance is awesome. For an all out "tactical" Surgeon they build in slightly looser tolerances so the action doesn't get seized up with dirt. All told though I think if money was no option I'd still go stiller. Their customer service is great, the price is right and they will build you anything you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.