Rifle assembly

[ QUOTE ]

A tight press fit, the kind that would be needed for this degree of strenght, would most likly cause gaulling, which could lead to alignment problems.

If you want to know if a threaded conection is stronger than you press fit look in the Machenery's Handbook. Find out the tensile strength of a 1 1/8 X 16 class 3A thread. Compare that to the gripping force of your press fit and the
shear strength of a couple of 1/8" or 3/16" retaining pins. Also consider the fact that the threaded conection is tourqed to create a desirable preload in the conection. This preload would be almost imposible in a press/pinned conection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buzzgun, the above is the only useful comment I have about your press fit theorey. I am sorry if I was a little harsh with some of my statments. I just get irritated when someone mentions their engineering; background, degree, experience, and now all of a sudden their opinion has more weight than someone elses.

Good day, Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.