Rifle accuracy issues

The Duke007

I have had this rifle for two years now. Its a full custom Mcmillan stock,stiller action,muzzle brake,jewell trigger set at two pounds,brux barrel. Rifle is a 7wsm. I have around 250 rounds threw it. I was shooting 1/2 moa out to 400 yards no problem. This year i took it out to shoot it and wasnt getting nearly close to what i was shooting the year before. My loads havent changed actually i still had some bullets that i had made leftover. So i took the rifle home to look it over checked all screws with a torque wrench. Cleaned the barrel really good to remove any copper. Took rifle back to see if there was any difference and was still doing the same thing,i could not get it to group. Im just frustrated that i spent all this money on gun and scope and it doesnt shoot.any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

IF all action and mounting screws are tight then it could be a scope issue. Pull the scope off. Make sure bases are solid and try another scope. Good luck. Bruce

Have you tried a different scope? Anything in the barrel channel causing barrel to contact stock? Any damage to crown?

I haven't checked scope yet, I'll pull it off tomorrow and check it. What if it's not the scope? As I'll swap it out with another night force I have. Thanks

I fully understand your frustration. I had a very well made 300 Win that did the same thing. Everything was torqued correctly, aligned, and overall solid. I attributed the poor groups to the shooter. To fix the issue, I took it inside and dry fired through the window about 1,000 times. After that, back on with tight groups.

I fully understand your frustration. I had a very well made 300 Win that did the same thing. Everything was torqued correctly, aligned, and overall solid. I attributed the poor groups to the shooter. To fix the issue, I took it inside and dry fired through the window about 1,000 times. After that, back on with tight groups.

If everyone admitted this and done what you did there would be a lot more accurate rifles.

Big what kind of issues? Heat involved or something? All the reloading I do I'd be mad for sure if they started going bad!!!

Big what kind of issues? Heat involved or something? All the reloading I do I'd be mad for sure if they started going bad!!!

No, I guess I don't know the correct term for it but the basic of it is the neck tension increases. I've seen it with 308 ammo that shot horrible and all you had to do is go through and seat them a little deeper breaking the weld for lack of a better term and they shot very well. My buddies 338 RUM did it this year, ammo he had from last year shot 2 MOA higher, loaded some fresh rounds dead nuts again.

I did actually make another 10 rounds just to check. Still no grouping. Im shooting prone with a rear bag and bipod. I have never had any problems before. As soon as i get back home from work im swapping scopes. Also tried shooting from the bench thinking maybe it was just the way i was shooting prone. Same results.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.