Rianov SOLO vs. Kestrel AB vs. G7 BR2

I have just discovered the Rianow SOLO ballistic solution utilizing the JBM solver.
RIANOV
The unit mounts directly on the scope with rings. It appears to me that it corrects for spin drift and coriolis, as well as all the other "normal" variables except relative humidity, which is ok as RH does not have much effect on air density.
Does anybody here have any experience with this product? I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Frank

All 3 gadgets lack measurement of a vital input e.i. distance with high accuracy, Wind, or slope, which must be estimated or measured by an additional gadget. However, the price of the Rianov seems fairly inexpensive compared to other two options and therefore the total cost for a complete solution seems ok.

Let me be more specific then, as to which variables that must be entered into the specific device in order to obtain a valid ballistic solution.

Rianov: High valid range info must be obtained by a rangefinder, as I assume the rangefinder will be more accurate than the built in ranging function. Wind data - velocity and direction - must also be entered.

Kestrel AB: High valid range info must be obtained from a rangefinder. In addition, the slope angle must be entered into the device for a valid ballistic solution.

G7 BR2: Wind data must be entered in order to obtain valid ballistic solution.

The Rianov and Kestrel units are "generic" as they provide bullet path output which is executiable by any scope.

The G7 BR2 output is "ballistic range equivalent", which is best executed with a scope that has a custom turret for the ammo used.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Frank

Hello DonB.

Before responding to your questions, please allow me to paraphrase your question.

Does Rianov have the capability to correct for differences in predicted bullet drop vs. actual bullet drop at long range and make the correction automatically.?

My answer is based on the information that is obtainable at the Rainov website where I have viewed the operater's manual.

So - if I understand you correctly the answer is no. However, you can always adjust your muzzle velocity (MV) in the setup if predicted is different from actual bullet drop. They change in muzzle velocity must be determined by using JBM or AB software (they should give you the same result). Vertical deflection can be "trued" by tweeking either MV or BC. If using a Bryan Litz BC, Bryan recommends that you tweek MV - but I am sure that you already know this.

I hope this answers your question.

I am still looking for field test results for the Rianov. In my view it offers a reasonable priced alternative to both G7 BR2 and the Kestrel AB.

Frank

Hello DonB.

Before responding to your questions, please allow me to paraphrase your question.

Does Rianov have the capability to correct for differences in predicted bullet drop vs. actual bullet drop at long range and make the correction automatically.?

My answer is based on the information that is obtainable at the Rainov website where I have viewed the operater's manual.

So - if I understand you correctly the answer is no. However, you can always adjust your muzzle velocity (MV) in the setup if predicted is different from actual bullet drop. They change in muzzle velocity must be determined by using JBM or AB software (they should give you the same result). Vertical deflection can be "trued" by tweeking either MV or BC. If using a Bryan Litz BC, Bryan recommends that you tweek MV - but I am sure that you already know this.

I hope this answers your question.

I am still looking for field test results for the Rianov. In my view it offers a reasonable priced alternative to both G7 BR2 and the Kestrel AB.

Frank

Hi Frank,

No worries but thanks.

Yep, that's exactly the question that I was asking. And sir, your reply is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Always Grateful,

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.