RF beam width??

gjk5

I have a Zeiss Victory PRF, it is a GREAT rangefinder and the glass is super clear. It ranges well over it's advertised max.

But I feel like the beam is really wide, I have issues with things OTHER than my intended target impeding the view and getting ranged instead, brush primarily.

I searched "rangefinder beam width" and only got three results, any thoughts (or previous threads) on this subject?

Or am I just being unrealistic and at those ranges (1K yds +) ANY rangefinder is going to widen up significantly?

thanks, some good resources in that thread. I knew before I asked this question that I was going to start looking hard at the G7 also.

One other fault I have with the Zeiss is the lack of angle compensation. Many of the others have it.

The glass is SO good though, I use it as my "mini binos" before breaking out the 15's.

I want something that will go tight and give me a true range adjusted for angle, I am shooting a MKV .30-378 with a Conquest and Kenton turret, but often in the oak brush and at extreme angles.

Take a long look at the Leica CRF 1600.

I have a CRF 1200 and the glass is very good. Beam divergence is low, and it actually ranges what it claims.

From what I read, the 1600 is a step up - ranges farther, and also computes angle and barometric pressure. The reviews say that the ballistic curves aren't the best, but the raw data is spot on.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.