RF beam width??

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by gjk5, Dec 14, 2013.

1. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

I have a Zeiss Victory PRF, it is a GREAT rangefinder and the glass is super clear. It ranges well over it's advertised max.

But I feel like the beam is really wide, I have issues with things OTHER than my intended target impeding the view and getting ranged instead, brush primarily.

I searched "rangefinder beam width" and only got three results, any thoughts (or previous threads) on this subject?

Or am I just being unrealistic and at those ranges (1K yds +) ANY rangefinder is going to widen up significantly?

2. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

3. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

thanks, some good resources in that thread. I knew before I asked this question that I was going to start looking hard at the G7 also.

One other fault I have with the Zeiss is the lack of angle compensation. Many of the others have it.

The glass is SO good though, I use it as my "mini binos" before breaking out the 15's.

I want something that will go tight and give me a true range adjusted for angle, I am shooting a MKV .30-378 with a Conquest and Kenton turret, but often in the oak brush and at extreme angles.

4. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

Take a long look at the Leica CRF 1600.

I have a CRF 1200 and the glass is very good. Beam divergence is low, and it actually ranges what it claims.

From what I read, the 1600 is a step up - ranges farther, and also computes angle and barometric pressure. The reviews say that the ballistic curves aren't the best, but the raw data is spot on.