Retumbo temperature expectations

porkchop401

Howdy fellas , I have been working up loads for my recent build , a .338 rum and 92.o gr. of Retumbo is pushing a 300 gr. Elite hunter at 2812 @ 50 f with a 20ft extreme spread and just above 1/2 " moa out to 200 so far( going out to the 1k range this weekend).
Being from the south it is impossable to figure out what a powders velosity will be at say 15F . Shooting down to say 35f takes some luck, meaning it must happen on the weekend and it is usually in poor lighting conditions, with spring well on the way I may not have those rare opportunities between now and elk season. Any help on estimates with this powder is appreciated .

Retumbo is a very temp stable powder and I have seen very little difference in drops from 10-70 degrees out to 1000 yds. I haven't chroneyed loads at the hottest and coldest but my drop data has been dead on regardless. I load it for a couple of weatherbys and my 7 mag and stw

Retumbo is a very temp stable powder and I have seen very little difference in drops from 10-70 degrees out to 1000 yds. I haven't chroneyed loads at the hottest and coldest but my drop data has been dead on regardless. I load it for a couple of weatherbys and my 7 mag and stw

I have had the same experience with Retumbo. Velocity differences between 20F and 75F are negligible.

A few weeks ago I had the opportuinity to fire a few rounds at coyotes when it was single digits F in the early AM. My dope did not change by any amount I could recognize, much less measure. The Retumbo, Fed215M, BergerVLD load was developed in 60 -70F weather. Took 2 coyotes with a 7RM on consecutive mornings. First yote was a 325y., broadside and the second was 665y head on, sitting. Neither one complained.

I don't get to shoot this rifle often and this was an opportuinity to shoot at a possible longer range in the cold. Now I know my cartridge load/dope table is good with a cold bore shot for the ranges I would be hunting.

A few weeks ago I had the opportuinity to fire a few rounds at coyotes when it was single digits F in the early AM. My dope did not change by any amount I could recognize, much less measure. The Retumbo, Fed215M, BergerVLD load was developed in 60 -70F weather. Took 2 coyotes with a 7RM on consecutive mornings. First yote was a 325y., broadside and the second was 665y head on, sitting. Neither one complained.

I don't get to shoot this rifle often and this was an opportuinity to shoot at a possible longer range in the cold. Now I know my cartridge load/dope table is good with a cold bore shot for the ranges I would be hunting.

It's hard to beat the Retumbo/VLD/215M combo for all out performance in the old 7.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.