Retumbo stuck together?

specweldtom

I just pulled the bullets out of (3) .338 x .378 handloads about 6 mos. old, and the powder wouldn't dump or shake out. I had to dig it out. It was 114 grs of Retumbo very very lightly compressed and seemed to be stuck together. (The first 2 rounds hit over an inch apart and I quit on this load).I've dumped compressed loads of H-4831, H-5010, and lots of compressed powder loads in other calibers, and don't remember ever having this happen.

Questions; has anyone else seen this happen with Retumbo, or any other powder, if so, could they tell if it caused high s/d's? If I had been chronographing this session, even 2 rounds would have told me something.

So far, I'm not impressed with Retumbo. My .30 x .378 didn't like it with any bullet. I used 215M primers for both calibers.

Opinions, comments, even hard data welcome.

Thanks, Tom

It happens with ALL powders.

I have pulled down many rounds of compressed loads, both ball and stick, and the powder always needs to be removed with a sharp tool or small screwdriver.

Nothing wrong with your powder, and it is reusable.

I just finished working up a load of retumbo for my friends 30-378. Retumbo cakes and compresses. One thing is that gun does not like a lot of anything. We finally got it to shoot .75 groups with 111.5 grs of retumbo . 180 gr accubonds. His weatherby has always " shot two threw one". Finally I talked him into taking it to the gunshop and having them bed the recoil lug. That did the trick. no more flyers. He finally settled with 4 shots under a half dollar as good. I might note that his weatherby shoots its best with an extremely clean bore.

Does the powder in the case that "cakes up" change the burn rate and therefore the pressures generated?

I know if you take the flakes out of a shotgun cartridge grind them up and reload your very likely to blow your head off literally. (probably a bad example to use)

So why doesnt caking change the pressure readings?

It does change them and that is not good JUJU for accuracy---one reason I do not "crunch" my powder when seating a bullet. I just use another powder that will not "crunch". I am pretty weird in that I load for the same level of precision on all of my sporters just as I do for my competition rifles.

Retumbo saved me a barrel job on a super fussy 300 wby ultralight. I was getting 6" groups with most anything at 200 yds. (and I tried a ton of good normal 300 wby loads).
Finally I tried retumbo with 200 ab's and got decent accuracy. Then a pretty compressed (88 grains) load of retumbo under the 180 tsx started doing 3"/300 yd groups consistantly.
RE how it compresses.....I've used heavy loads in the 300 win mag under 200 grain bullets and it is a wierd experience.....it doesn't crunch....it kind of squeaks like when the dentist is packing a filling into your tooth. (hows that for "word comparison")?

Cat; you're right, once I got it out, it looked OK, wasn't broken up or powdered, but it spooked me and I threw it away. Wasn't sure if I should use it again. Thanks.

Boss Hoss and H P, I wish that I had gone through the chronograph, but I had several guns to shoot, and not enough time. I use a 35P with the 3rd screen and the e/s and std.dev would have told me something, even with just 2 rds.

Thanks to all, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.