Retumbo powder ????

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bigbuck, May 31, 2012.

1. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

I decided to reload some bullets this evening so I opened up a new canister of retumbo . I was a little shocked to see that it had clumps of powder in it . Have any of you guys experienced this before ?

Thanks bigbuck

2. Triple BB

Triple BB Well-Known Member

I got a good deal on 10 lbs a number of years ago. Imagine it has to do with the stuff sitting. Never noticed a problem. A couple of light shakes to the canister before opening takes care of any problems...

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Retumbo does seem to have the tendency to clump up after sitting. I have also found that when taking apart loads that were a few months old that the top 1/8" or so of the powder in the case had the granulals fused and had to be loosened with a small wooden dowel. However, it did not effect the accuracy or velocity readings of the loads. I think effect is inherent in the formulation.

4. green 788

green 788 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon says it's caused by the solvent on the powder not totally drying before they can it.

They say it doesn't affect the performance of the powder in any way, and that has been my experience... my loads haven't been affected.

I just left the lid off my can for a day or so and it doesn't clump any more.

Hodgdon advised to just shake the can a few times to break loose the clumps before opening the powder and using it.

Dan

5. 65WSM

65WSM Well-Known Member

Never have seen that problem. Sounds like humidity made it stick together. I do not believe it is dangerous (I have a minor degree in Chem) but it will be hard to get the right charge.

6. rooster721

rooster721 Well-Known Member

I sat down to load a batch up for one of my rifles just last-night and noticed this very problem.. opened up a brand-new can and started pouring into my powder measure, nearly flipped when I seen a clump fall out!

Figured I'd bump this thread.. definitely took a little weight off my chest after reading it! Hopefully you're all very-right and it does-not show any effects to burn and velocities and such**

7. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

Its normal I see it on a regular basis with Retumbo and H1000, just shake it, it breaks up easy and has no effect on the loads.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

The other thing about Retumbo is that if you pull the bullet out of a loaded case the powder at the top of the case is caked solid for about an eight of an inch. To get it put you have to loosen it with a toothpick. Doesn't appear to effect performance.

9. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

A jeweler's driver works well for loosening powder in a compressed charge. I typically use the medium straight blade.