retumbo powder......pressure signs

got to get out and shoot today.... Finally

28 degrees, no wind, new loads !

NO MORE PRESSURE SIGNS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5 shots @ 100 yards off bags

168 grain Berger VLD 71 grains Retumbo

470118.JPG
[/url]

Looks like you got it worked out. What are you using for primers? With Retumbo in my STW the match federals mags shoot better for me. I've had other primers work better with other powders but my Retumbo loads always shoot better for me with those...

Where you seating your bullets in relation to the lands?? Only powder I"ve tried with the 168g VLD was RL-22. Shot great for me at 63g giving 2950fps. I might give Retumbo a try the next go round with the 168's, and/or maybe the 180's. I've tried Retumbo/162g amax with so/so results, shooting 3150fps, but accuracy seems to stay 3/4" between 3000-3150fps. I've always wondered about those marks on the case head myself. I've noticed that when you seat bullets out to touch or go into the lands, just by chambering and unchambering the round will leave those kinda shiny marks on the case head. Kind of annoying I think. Is that alwasy a definate sign of pressure?? I tried a couple loads the other day with 68-70g H-1000/160g AB and I'm pretty sure I got pressure starting at 68g, velocity was right at 3000fps, and I got shiny marks on the case head.

I received email from Walt Berger since I just got some of the 168 VLD's for my 7mm RM, and according to him, max load with the Retumbo is 70.4 gr, so if you are shooting 73 grains, that may by why you are getting pressure signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.