Retumbo or RL-25 for 300 Ultra in factory Rem 700

str8flite

I have been reading a lot of posts of members getting great results with both of these powders with 200gr Accubonds. I want to start reloading my 300 Ultra with these bullets, but I would like to know which powder works best in a factory Remington 700 rifle with a 26" barrel. I realize one powder may work better than the other in custom barreled rifles, but since my rifle is unmodified and I can't afford to experiment with every promising powder to formulate the perfect load, what would you guys suggest?

I will mix it up a little for you. I get great results with IMR7828 and 200g accubonds. I use 85g of IMR 7828. I would suggest you work up to that number Hope it helps.

I use Retumbo with excellent results with the 200gr Accubond. Some people are also using h1000. You may have to use whatever you can get.

zk281h.jpg

I would recomend H1000 or Retumbo. Both are great powders, and not temperature sensitive. I have found Retumbo gives just alittle bit more velocity.

I would try them both. They both work good in 300 RUMs.

I personaly have had better luck in the accuracy department with the RE25. That said, a buddy of mine is doing pretty good with Retumbo in his factory 26" stick. Getting 3120 FPS with the 200 AB's and sub .75 MOA accuracy.

I know some guys are using the Tubbs final finish on their factory barrels and run H1000 under the 200 AB's at 3200+ FPS. The key here is final finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.