retumbo not workn

7mmrowland

Well either its the retumbo or it just dont like sierra 300grners is there any other suggestions for powder in the 330 lapua improved or bullets? Thinking about trying the 250 MK and if so what powder would work with the lighter? The barrel is a 10 twist broughton and shoots the loads no matter what with 2 egg shaped in one hole and 1 somewhere else.

Well either its the retumbo or it just dont like sierra 300grners is there any other suggestions for powder in the 330 lapua improved or bullets? Thinking about trying the 250 MK and if so what powder would work with the lighter? The barrel is a 10 twist broughton and shoots the loads no matter what with 2 egg shaped in one hole and 1 somewhere else.

I've got a few ultra mags, and they all have liked RE 25 powder better than the Hogdon extreme powders. you may try it. Ron Tilley

Have you tried H-1000? I know it is a little faster than Retumbo, but I switched from Retumbo to H-1000 in my .338 Edge. Wasn't getting the consistency I wanted from the Retumbo. I would get the same type of grouping that you are talking about. After I switched my E.S. droppped to 11fps, my S.D. dropped to 5, and my last group at just under 200yds was .750". Also, have you tried different primers?

+1 on the RL25 and H1000

Every time I have had trouble getting a large magnum to shoot good with the powders I wanted to use, RL25 pulls it all together. Including a couple big 338's such as one 338 RUM and one Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan. Also experienced the same thing with 2 different 300 RUM's.

I always try H1000 and Retumbo first and if things are good then great. If not, then I run RL25. I have not found it to be nearly as temp sensitive as some make it out to be. Others also rationalize that RL powders arent consistent from lot to lot but I would like someone to show me a powder that is the same from lot to lot including the H powders.

Dont ge me wrong. Hodgdon makes awesome stuff, I just also believe that so does Alliant and my personal experience has been that RL25 has worked in more rifles for me at the best velocities than the H powders combined. Right now H1000 is working for me in my 338 EDGE but I will experiment with RL25 before I settle on a load.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.