Retro or new reloader

rolly

Acquired an old Herter's reloader and some dies. Wondering if its good enough to get started reloading for the first time or should I sell it and get a new type (RBCS, HORNADY, etc.) reloader?

Acquired an old Herter's reloader and some dies. Wondering if its good enough to get started reloading for the first time or should I sell it and get a new type (RBCS, HORNADY, etc.) reloader?

the Herters uses an odd sized thread (not .88-14tpi). I see dies for them on Ebay every now and then.
gary

Get rid of it and buy a NEWER model of the brands you mentioned.

if money is an issue, I'd simply pick up a used Lee cast iron press. You see them on Ebay all they time, and they are not a bad press. There are also presses made of aluminum, but I'd be thing cast iron or cast steel. I suppose you could modify the Herters press to use the standard thread size, also am thinking your whipping a dead horse
gary

if the gear is in good condition use it if you wish. Me, I agree with the rest, sell it and buy new.
As for buying used on ebay you in my opinion go to
https://fsreloading.com and have them send you a classic cast press for $94.00 Then grab what ever brand of dies and case prep tools you want

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.