Reticles on frontr rear focal plane, why?

well guys i have use both types of scope, ie, with 1st and 2nd focal plain reticles. to me a scope in the 2nd focal plain is purely a target or varminting scope. For all other applications i would always choose the 1st focal plain.
this thoery of the reticle covering to much of the targetat higher XX's is pure bull because the reticle stays exactly the same size in relation to the target size irrelevant of which power setting you are on.so that blows the match stick at low xx and telegraph pole at high xx. and the post reticle is for use in complete darkness using only moon light, thats why its so thick, it can be used with excellent precision during day light dur to the fine tip of the reticle giving a good aiming point. You can range at any setting using your reticle. lets say you see a target in your bino's out at distance and want to range it, its almost dark and you can't make the target out with the scope wound up at 15x 0r 10x, but you can at 6x, so with your 2nd focal plain scope you are screwed because the thing only works on one magnification, with your 1st focal plain you are on the money because it works at all magnifications. any of you who have done much long range shooting will know that any magnification above about 15x is often useless due to mirage. Now if i can shoot roe deer (about coyotee size animal with a vital zone the size of the small plate you eat your pastry of) with a S&B PMII 3-12x50 out to 700m with the scope set on 12x then i'm sure some of you accomplished rifle men can do even better with the same set up. But lets point one thing out,, the S&B and some of the other scimilar scopes are designed as a sniper scope, sniping is hunting. They do tend to have a slightly thicker reticle than a dedicated target scope and as such subtend more of the target.These are one shot one kill scopes, the bullet will undoubtably go where you put the cross hair but if you aretrying to shoot tiny groups at long range then i would suggest you buy a dedicated target scope with a fine target style reticle.. just don't go hunting at dawn or dusk with your target scope because you won't be able to see the **** reticle.
I woudln't trust a US Optics scope as far as i could throw it. I've broke every leupold i ever had and if i could be persuaded to buy another then only from Prem reticles. The jury is still out on the NXS.
If some one asked me now to go into harms way and put my life on the line depending an a scope then there is only one that i would without question be able to pick and that is the S&B PMII line of scopes.
You usualy get what you pay for in the optics world.
Pete

I just got my 1st S&B and it is my 1st FFP reticle scope. I really like this desgin better. I like the fact i can range at any power. I like S&B Glass as well!
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I wouldn't trust a US Optics scope as far as i could throw it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny. As a matter of fact that's how the USMC tested the SN-12, by throwing it across the parking lot.

You are lucky living in Germany, you can afford S&B scopes but the run up in that new currency you have has made purchasing EEC Block goods prohibitive in the U.S.

Good luck!

D.
smile.gif

Ask the man that owns one!

7WSM1K.jpg

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

Ever heard of laser ranging?
How about turning those knobs to compensate for drop/wind? You paid for em, might as well use them.

Being a varmint hunter, I prefer precision and very high magnification.
I shoot in various conditions including big changes in altitude, up to the minute local air density, and at differing angles.
So I usually have to adjust the scope every hunt, every shot, anyway. I never tried it with such a scope, correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm thinking At +600yds you will loose a chuck behind one of them FFP mildots &gt;16x power. At lower power I doubt you can range or drop compensate with enough resolution.
So I for one enjoy and am very successful using RFP scopes, Leica, Exbal/Palm, Kestrel.
Just alittle contrast.

Guys if any of you want me to post anything european over to you at a decent price them i am happy to get you all prices on the eropean kit. we get hammered by taxes on anything from the states too, there are ways to avoid import taxes by the way..
pete

Pete
Another curious person from Aus where we pay too much for scopes also.
How much would you pay for a S&B 6-24 P in US$? Are these first focal plane?
I am in the market for a new high resolution scope where weight is not a big consideration. I need fine long range resolution for small targets.
I am currently using a 8.5-25 LRT Leupold with fine duplex and happy with same.
I am building another long range varmint rifle which requires another scope.
The general consenus seems to be that the NF have a bit better optics?[than Leupold?] and they have whetherproof externally adjustable turrets which is why they are popular for long range applications. I have steered away from them because of their weight in the past. My new rifle will not be carried far so that is why weight is not a consideration.

BTW, I just got a new Horus Falcon and put it on my M40A3. Seems to be a very competent scope, and Front Focal Plane with Side Focus and lit reticle. Not to mention the Horus H-25, and only $1299! (Just about half of what comparable scope manufacturers are charging for the same thing.)

Shtg41113a21.JPG

More on Scope.

[ 04-14-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

If you make precision decisions, you want what works the absolute best for you, don't you? I want to use a scope that delivers reliability. 18 months from now, I still want it to work, to retain the same click values as well as the reticle remaining in calibration. If you purchase a cheaply manufactured scope, it probably will not. One usually sees Night Force, Hensholdt, Schmidt Bender and Leupold M4's mounted on military weapon systems for a reason – and it's not because they are expensive, it is because they are durable, repeatable, have very good glass and a long legged life span.

FFP, SFP, I shoot both. But what works for me is a reticle that allows me to see the target both daytime and in low light conditions without misinterpretation.

In a battlefield environment a Sniper will be an Observer First and his scope better be able to fill that role. Secondly, if the Sniper has to take a shot, it will most probably be only one – maybe two and then he is out of there. More than two is a rarity and a liability; a real rarity unless you happened to have been in Afghanistan and you had competition spraying rounds from their AK's while standing upright. "Leave the bolt guns at home and bring gas guns," was one quote I heard from men coming off of their first rotation.

So it is personal preference and what works for you that matters. MikeCR, I'm with you man…

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.