Reticle-Rangefinding Math Youtube

sscoyote

Just put one up for those that like to play with the math behind this stuff--

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNvJKBOpj08&list=HL1331006503&feature=mh_lolz]Reticle-Rangefinding Math - YouTube[/ame]

...and one more math-type video--

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEhoNaRi2s]More Reticle-Rangefinding Math Including 2nd Focal Plane Reticles - YouTube[/ame]

Hey haven't you heard? Didn't you get the memo?

I was scolded by a member here and he informed me that "NO ONE" I repeat "NO ONE" on this site uses reticles for rangfinding. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I feel, as do some people I shoot with, that this process is a good thing to know and works well to limited distances, if you find yourself in a place you need it.

Jeff

Pretty good Jeff! Good comments sir. I figured there might be some small niche out there who might find these concepts useful.

Good video's Steve. I especially enjoyed the part about the advantage of adjusting power on the SFP scopes to match the subtentions of the reticles. Since I prefer SFP scopes I can use that.

I also have used the Centerpoint scopes on some 22's. I found them to be pretty awesome for $70 and are great for a gopher rifle.

The big problem with ranging with any scope and reticle is knowing target size. Both deer and elk vary a lot in size from chest to back. A 10% error in size can result in 10% error in distance. So if a deer is said to be 18" tall brisket to back bone and he is 19.8" you are off 10%. That may not result in a miss at 500 yards, but at 1000 you are in trouble.

Never the less, this is all good stuff to know if you use it with in its means. Especially if you find yourself out there and for some reason this is the only method you have.

Jeff

im having lots of problems here today. i wasent finished with my post when i posted it.
anyway try tea instead of coffee jeff.:)

hi steve hows the highlanders holding up?
how come you havent convinced more of these guys?
we used to use dots for judging range. same principle i guess.
we werent dialing back then. two guesses is asking a bit much i guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts