Reticle choice

walter351

RETICLE/SCOPE CHOICE

I am currently building a .338 edge and I need to purchase a scope. I pretty much have decided that the build deserves a NF. I want to go with the 3.5-15 x 56mm but the 5.5-22 x 56mm is enticing. I am up to suggestions from everybody so please give feedback. My biggest concern is to hear what people are doing for the reticle design.

I like the idea of mil-dot, but I would really like to hear what other people think, especially .338 edge owners. Let me know what works for you. I will be dialing in my ranges so I am not sure if there is any advantage of having it.

Last edited:
Not a edge owner, but enjoying stretching out those barrels.
My favorite of the current reticles is the NP-R1

Do you intend to get a SFP scope or are you waiting for the FFP NXS?

I have the 2 of the NF 3.5x15 scopes with the NP-R1 and couldn't be happier.

One of them is on an Edge and in my opinion, it is perfect.

If it had a FFP (first focal plane), so the reticle was calibrated across the entire magnification range, I would get the 5.5x22, however since it's a SFP (second focal plane) and only calibrated at the high end, I chose the 3.5x15 model. I want to spot my own shots and was concerned that the narrower field of view with the 22x scope would hinder my ability to do that.

Also, my scopes are the 50mm objective and I can make things out easily after legal shooting light, so I'm glad I didn't get the larger objective. I also like a scope that is closer to the barrel; this helps minimize any cant error as well as lets me get a more comfortable cheek weld.

These are my reasons/recommendations. Hope they help, or at least give some more food for thought.

AJ

I like the MLR w/ the MIL RAD turrets. A lot of guys really like the NPR1.

Go with the MLR or the NPR1.

The 56mm to me is more the 50mm is almost too much to me.

Mike @ CSGW

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.