Results from horse beating thread

backyardsniper

I greatly appreciated all the input and opinions from you guys on the 30-378 idea. After careful consideration i have decided to build a rifle. I called up my buddy Russell Banks the owner of scout supply company and the builder of my two previous custom rifles and discussed it with him and we decided to start a project. I have begun sourcing parts and we are getting under way. The build will consist of a stiller tac 338, a manners t5 100percent carbon fiber non adjustable to keep the weight down. Jewel trigger the barrel is yet to be determined. Bug holes has a bartlein 1/9.3 sendero 31" .875 at 26" I plan to go 28" on the barrel. I really would like to get another broughton 5c. I have had those on both my other builds. Anyway sendero or a heavy palma gratuitously fluted to further cut down on weight. Seekins 3.900 DBM if I can find one. Chambering will be 338 lapua or a lapua improved not sure on that one yet. I like the improved but I will have to get special dies and there is a lack of load data readily available but I still might. So anyway there it is. Hopefully she will make her debut at the 2014 lrh group hunt in Wyoming in October. Thanks again guys and I will keep you all posted on how it turns out and if there are changes as well as how it shoots.

If you were in love with the weatherby and already have a lapua ,I think I remember that being the case, I'm surprised you didn't go with a 338-378 weatherby

I sold the 338 lapua I had because the barrel was too short and too heavy. I was going to replace it regardless. I was strongly considering the 30-378 but now I've purchased a tac 338 action. The caliber of the build is still unsure but it looks like a lapua improved of some soet

With all the 338s out there it is hard to make a choice. I have settled on my next build being a 338 lapua AI as well. The weatherby brass and funky double shoulder radius thing turns me away from that. The inability to make a 338 edge using the Bergers a repeater turns me off that and the brass price and availability turns me away from the 338 Excalibur so I like the lapua choice I just thought you had one already

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.