Replacing a barrel at home on a non-Savage action?

theflyonthewall

Heya fellas.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever devised a way to alter/modify an action to make installing a new chambered and threaded barrel at home, a feasible project for a good DIY guy without a shop full of gunsmithing tools?

This question probably make this point obvious, but I don't have a great deal of gunsmithing knowledge or experience. But I DO understand the need for absolutely precise tolerances in the installation of a barrel.

The reason for such a question, is that I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag. and I plan to shoot the be-jeezus out of it. So a new barrel or three, is likely in my future. I know some will say "just go buy a Savage." But I don't have a need for two deer rifles. I like the one I have. And whether this idea works out or not, I'm keeping the one I have.

But I DO see myself with new barrels down the road. So have any of you 'smiths contemplated some system like what Savage uses to allow a shooter to change his own barrels at home?

Question How DIY are you?? do you have a lathe for barrel work or do you plan on using a gun smith to cut the threads and bore the chamber.

Question How DIY are you?? do you have a lathe for barrel work or do you plan on using a gun smith to cut the threads and bore the chamber.

I wrote in the original post that this all assumes that the replacement barrels would be chambered and threaded. I DID NOT however make it very clear that I was planning on this being done before I got them. :)

I just figured that if Savage was doing it, then maaaaaybe the idea could be used on other actions as well if someone were creative enough to make it happen. The expense of getting an action set up this way may be cost-prohibitive though? I'm not at all sure of this, so I figured I'd ask our resident experts......

Northland Shooting Supply (check out Savage Shooters.com) sells barrels and nuts that can be installed on Remington actions in the same manner as Savage Barrels.

Sorry my brain skipped over "Weatherby Vanguard" but for the right price I am sure someone could set up a similar system.

Last edited:
Highly recommend Jim @ Northland Shooters Supply in Minnesota!

Vendor Classifieds > Northland Shooters Supply (Moderator: Northlander) > Remington - Pre-Fit Rem/Age Barrels Pages: [1] Go Down« previous next »
Notify | Mark unread | Send this topic | Print
normal_post.gif
AuthorTopic: Remington - Pre-Fit Rem/Age Barrels (Read 27001 times) Northlander Moderator
Basic User
Moderator.gif

Remington - Pre-Fit Rem/Age Barrels
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:35:27 AM »
Northland Shooters Supply has introduced their full line of Rem/Age Barrels. The Rem/Age Barrel Package is a Match Grade Barrel that is completely finished and fully chambered using our new NSS Rem/Age Barrel Nut. As the name Rem/Age implies these barrels are a hybrid combination of the Remington Model 700 Rifles and a Savage style Barrel Nut mounted barrel.

The Rem/Age Barrel Nuts are priced at $28.00 with a barrel order or $45.00 by themselves. The Rem/Age Barrel Nuts are designed to work with the Savage Barrel Nut Wrenches so no difficult to find tools are required.

Just to clarify, using the Rem/Age system, swapping your Remington 700 Barrels will no longer require a Gunsmith any more than a Savage rifle does. I would like some input from you Remington 700 shooters as to what calibers you are most interested in.

Rem/Age Barrels are now being manufactured by Criterion (div. of Krieger). We have found their consistant quality to be a very big asset.

Current Barrel Inventory:
26" - 204 Ruger - Varmint - 11 twist - $259.00
26" - 223 Rem. - Varmint - 9 Twist - On Order
26" - 22-250 Rem. - Varmint - 9 Twist - $259.00
26" - 6 BR Norma - Varmint - 8 Twist - Matte - $259.00
26" - 243 Win. - Varmint - 9 Twist - $259.00
26" - 25-06 Rem. - Varmint - 10 Twist - $259.00
26" - 6.5-06 (wildcat) - Varmint - 8 Twist - $259.00
26" - 260 Rem. - Varmint - 8 Twist - $259.00
26" - 308 Win. - Varmint - 10 Twist - $259.00

Jim Briggs
NSS

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:24:05 PM by Northlander » Report to moderator
ip.gif
Logged Savage Factory and After Market Parts - Complete Firearms
Northlander Moderator
Basic User
Moderator.gif

Re: Remington - Pre-Fit Rem/Age Barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
Criterion is now making our Rem/Age Barrels. They have brought additional chamberings as well as consistant quality to our Rem/Age product line.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Sorry my brain skipped over "Weatherby Vanguard" but for the right price I am sure someone could set up a similar system.

Hey aggie, don't sweat it. I'm glad that you took the time to post in here. And yes, if someone is doing it for Remmy's, then I'd be confident that it can be done to my Vanguard as well.

Highly recommend Jim @ Northland Shooters Supply in Minnesota!

Thank you very much hammertyme!! I'm going to have to get in contact with them and see if there's any glaring reason why this can't be done on my rifle, if none of the smiths here want a crack at it. Seems like with the right threads for the barrel nut, I'd be "in there."

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.