Replacement Remington Triggers

bigngreen

I recently ran into a deal on a sweet Remington 700 7mm ADL that I couldn't pass up, it's so nice I hate to tear it all apart and build it into something else but I think I'll true it up and make a 338 RUM out of it.
I'm looking for trigger suggestion, the only Rem trigger I've used is the Jewel and it was top but I'm wanting to keep it a little more budget and for rugged hunting use that a Jewel seems to be. Looked at Rifle Basix and like what I see and Timney seems good as well but I don't have any experience with either.

My son and I both shoot customs built off 700 actions. He used a timney on his and I used rifle basix. This spring he started noticing a little half click type of action on his trigger when he was on the bench but not all the time. We took it in to the smith that built both rifles and his response was "You're starting to get quite a few rounds through this thing and your trigger is showing it." Long story short - he offered to put a jewell in and gave him credit for the timney. He turned to me and said we may as well do yours also and he allowed me the same deal.

On the rifle basix - I have no rocks to throw at it. The only problem was it varied from 2.1 oz. to 2.5 oz on a fancy digital trigger scale. I never had one bit of trouble with it and it never once let me down. It has seen lots of miles on horse back as well as over hell and dale. It didn't have much creep and was quite crisp - but like you already know, it's not a jewell.

After going to the range and shooting - this is the first jewell I've owned - I'm having second thoughts. I counted up the number of rifles in the safe and multiplied times 250 bucks and said I sure would have saved a lot of money by not trying out a jewell.

I would have no problem going with a another basix but that timney trigger should not have done what it was doing.

I have several Jewels on competition rifles, never had problems with them. Seven years ago, I put a Rifle Basix ERV on a Rem 700. I was able to adjust it down to 7 ounces. Four months ago, the sear connector broke. I called RB and they offered to send me a new trigger that same day at no cost. My rifle was back in service in less than a week. Not only was there no charge, they even included postage to return the old trigger.

I've previously had both Timney and Rifle Basix triggers in Remingtons. As stated, they are not quite up to the jewel quality/feel, but I didn't have any problems with them............only reason I got rid of them and replaced with the Jewel was because the Jewel would go lighter and still be safe. The Timney was more consistent than the Rifle Basix in my limited experience, but the Basix would go to a lighter weight of pull.

I am extremely picky about my triggers and want all my rifles the same or close to the same..........long story short, now the vast majority of my bolt actions are wearing a Jewel. First one I got about 15 years ago. I am not hard on my rifles for the most part, but the Jewels have never caused me any grief at all.

Probably 1982, I had a rifle built for a small statured wife, 600 Remington 6mm, Shilen light barrel, Brown Kevlar stock, Timney trigger. Due to it's size it's been first rifle to a few kids, on loan to other folks for their wife to try. Still @ 3.5 lbs crisp, never a safety issue. Still in the safe ready for the next kid.

After using all of the triggers mentioned including some others (Canjar,Shillen ETC) and have
come to believe that a great trigger is better than a good trigger.

The difference in price is for a reason the Jewell has a connector link(Extra) that prevents it from
going off when set very light if banged/struck with the safety off and the consistency trigger to
trigger is the best i have ever seen.

The other big difference in the Jewell and others mentioned is the cleanness of the trigger when
it breaks set heavy. If you set one at 3 pounds It doesent feel like three pounds and has to be
weighed to verify that it is that heavy.

There are other good triggers that are cheaper but there are only a few great triggers and Jewell
is one of them.

I still use Timney,Canjar,Shillen and 40x Rem triggers (When I can find them), But when
I can/need to replace them I buy Jewell because I believe the trigger is not the place to
save a few bucks.

PS;I do not own stock in Jewell.I just believe that they are the best and That i can use all the help
I can get,

J E CUSTOM

Well I have a 700BDL in .270 Win and just recently i tweaked the trigger myself and have made it feel like a Jewel. I was able to take out ALL of the creep, all of the backlash and make it a very crisp clean break. Here is what i did (I wont get into the basics as that is everywhere on the net).

1) I decided if i messed it up i would buy a new trigger, if it ever failed on me i would get a new trigger.

2) Take out all of the pins and screws out of the trigger housing (Watch out for the little one on top under the Sear (I think it is called).
3) Pull the safety off, and shake the assembly all the parts will fall out. On the physical trigger (this is most important i think) polish (I used an arkansaw stone) it until it is perfectly smooth (Its beveled a little bit but mine works fine).

3) Polish the rest of the parts, anywhere where parts may rub needs to be polished with the stone.

4) Get a cloth brush of .17cal (.22 works but is tight) and using FINE!!! polishing compound and your fancy drill polish the inside until it is shiny.

5) Using Soap and water wash everything very well, i even used Q-tips in the interior of the assembly.

6) Let dry, then re blue everything using the store bought cold blue

7) re assemble

8) play with the screws as everyone else tells you to do to get it the way you want.

Now comes the important part. TESTING!
Slam the bolt forward hard , does it drop the firing pin? (If so you need to re adjust)
Ease the bolt forward
Safety On Pull trigger
safety off rest finger on trigger as if you were going to fire
rough handle the rifle
By rough handle i mean drop from about 6" onto carpet on butt plate, and also on side.

Spend a few hours doing this if it ever fails then re adjust.

Now the next important part:
I am going to discourage you from doing this Unless you are willing to buy a new trigger if this one goes bad. Also you need to spend months of shooting where you only chamber when you are ready to shoot. You can never be too careful and remmington sure does not like people messing with the screws, and i say take the whole **** thing apart. I was able to get 1/3# clean trigger using this method. Mine is set for 3# currently.

I bought a special spring from Hollands Guns and had a gunsmith install it for $40. For me, as a novice, this made a big difference. That and a new scope helped bring my groups from 8 inches at 200 yards to under 2 inches @ 200. (It helps with the scope does not hit you in the face so I flinch less).

Compared to a new trigger, the spring was inexpensive at under $15 or so.

I have a Rem 700 Sporter in 30.06 which I think is an ADL. Remington matches the serial number to a 7mm Mountain Rifle which is spooky.

Last edited:
In my 700's I have Shilen, Timney and one stock trigger I adjusted myself. Shilen is a little better than the Timney but not much. The stock trigger is set at 3 lbs. and is on my winter coyote rifle and it works fine. The Shilen can be difficult for a novice to install and the Timney(510) is relatively easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.