Removable muzzle brake?

I shot a 340 WBY for 10+ yrs, before I braked it, then 10 more+ 200 rnds. first spring. Then I had a radial type brake put on. I shot a 6x6 one day bedded and I could not here for 2 hrs, tracking bull, it was a neck shot on purpose. I wear a ear plug type set up all the time and use them. But a muzzle brake will cook your ears, mine screw on and off, it is a nice feature if you timber hunt. I hunt dark timber getting up to high country and shots are quick and usually no time for the ear protection

Look into the tactical muscle break that benchmark barrels has. Do a search and u will find them on snipers hide. It has a set screw so it won't loose its timing and you can remove it without using a crush washer or it over rotating after removing it a bunch of times.

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I have actually decided to go with a permanent muzzle brake. I have done some information about some "quieter" muzzle brakes that sound like they would fit my needs well.

hey guys hate to double post, but what about this break? Anyone heard anything about this one? It has to holes to cut down on muzzle jump which I like. Are these things crappy or legit?

WHOOPS! I guess that would help wouldnt it.

Sorry guys.

Muzzle Brake

There are quite a few muzzle brake designs with better designs holes (no offense, just referring to the holes configuration and not entire design) on top but the one on your link should definitely work too. However, a well designed muzzle brake does not need to have holes on top to reduce/eliminate muzzle jump/flip like the ones below ...

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

American Precision Arms

In short, you have plenty of very good muzzle brakes (with or without holes on top) to choose from - APS > Home Page, Straight Shot Gunsmithing, Defensive Edge > Products, Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply, etc ...

To give you general idea on price of MB and installation, my local gunsmith currently charges ...

QUICKDISCHARGEBRAKE.jpg

$200 installed (Holland's Quick Discharge) - I have this one my Savage 111F in .300 WM and the felt recoil is comparable to .243.

JPenterpriseBennieCooley.jpg

$225 installed (Bennie Cooley by JP Enterprise) - Jeff (BROZ) has this one on one of his .300 WM and have heard positive comments.

... and from my other gunsmith (his own design) ...

P5170371-1.jpg

$210 installed with cap (in 2009) - similar performance as the Holland's above. This is on my SAKO M995 in .300 WM.

Good luck!

Get the Vais break for a sporter rifle......I carry ear protection (Walkers game ear power muffs) with me....it's not a big deal.......any rifle will hurt your ears without hearing protection....obviously a breaked rifle will hurt them worse. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.