Reminton 870 shotgun question ?

ol mike

Howdoo,
I saw a rem 870 pump 12 ga for sale on buds gun sales for $243 it is a blued synthetic bottom of the line i guess you'd call it.
The barrel was 18" and it only said -cylinder- does that mean improved cylinder?
And can a screw in type choke system be put in that barrel?
I want/need a coyote shotgun but didn't want to spend $600 since i rarely use a shotgun.Thanks Mike

It means what it says. Cyl is more open than Imp Cyl. This thing will throw a WIDE pattern. Since it just says cyl I would bet it will not take the Remchokes unless you have it threaded for them.

If that is what you want, find a used Mossberg 835 3.5" mag. that gun is backbored, long forcing cone and with a modified tube and BBs will take a coyote out a long way. Should be able to find one for $300 or less.

Try different choke tubes. Just because they are marked full, they might be too tight for larger shot such as 2s, BBs and #4 buck. Might find that the modified actually patterns tighter.

BH

The strait cyl bore is just that a strait .725" bore zero choke. It can be threaded for chokes this usual cost around $100 or so.

Here is a shamless little plug for Shawn Carlock , we all know that he builds fine rifles but
I sent him a Rem 870 barrel and had the forcing cone lengthined and backbored and its one hell of an impressive shooter now , very even tight patterns. iwht a Mod choke and 00 bock shot patterns are 100% in a 20" at 30yds.
I have a dudty gun that is cyl choked and was backbored , forcing cone lengthened and ported by Vang Comp and it shoot buck shot pretty well and slugs decient when you backbore one it is like putting some choke to a barrel
By the way I was robbed by Vang-Comp !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

on another note , you can order a rifle sited smooth bore barrel that is threaded for Rem chokes for about $150 and yopu could probably get at least $50 for your unchoked barrel

If you were wanting the screw in chokes look at the 870 express. Comes in either 3 in or 3 1/2 twelve guage. The new thumbhole remington felt real good with rifle sights I found one at a gun shop local for $400.00 new. If you also hunt turkeys would be a good starting point. Gun is camo. My own 870 is a spt an older model. When I first got it is shot like crap, twenty yards was iffy. I had Angle Port work it over at Batesville, AR. Told them I wanted a 45 yard gun, glad I did it will almost rip a turkeys head off at that range. I have had several remington expresses that shot real well. Might want to check out the turkey guns, if you are not needing one right away I would wait awhile, until the summer and should find one used for less than what they will be asking for them soon.

I just bought a brand new rem 870 3 1/2" express synthetic for $205 brand new from bimart.

shoots good, and cheap, they had a sale going on, so I don't know what the normal price is. keep your eyes open because you can get em for pretty cheap sometime..

I have had 870's for years and have never had a problem with any of them. I bought an Express 12 ga 3" Mag for Turkey and Coyote hunting. I replaced the front bead with a Bradley bead and added a mid rib gold bead, A couple years ago, I added the Tru Glo fiber optic front/rear sights and they are bright. With a PureGold .670" Turkey choke, my longest kill on a Tom is 42 yds using HeviShot and 50+ yds on a yote with #4 buck.

JD338

Thanks for the info everybody.
I saw one of the pistol grip camo turkey guns for $450 there is a thumbhole 3 1/2 mag also but its another $150.
I'll keep an eye out this summer for a better price on the pistol grip model.Mike

Mike , take and get yourself a basic 870 bare bones they runabout $200 from Wally world or Acadamy if you want a shorter barrel it maybe a little bit more and if you want the pistol grip style stock (I recomend them) buy a set of Speed Feed they are about $90

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.