Remington, Weatherby, Hill Country or..

bglimpse

Looking to buy a new hunting rig. I'm looking at something in the 7mm/300win range as I want to be able to reach out to 500+ yards on larger game. I've looked at just about everything out there and think I've got it down to the following rifles, Remington Sendero, Weatherby AccuMark or something like a Hill Country Rifles semi-custom rifle. I'd like to stay under $2000. What do you guys think of the Weatherby line of rifles? Hill Country? I know the Remington would be a good, solid choice..

Hill Country is an accurized Remington with a McMillan stock. IMO, a very good value. You should get good accuracy with the remy or the weby, but unlikely you will see one that shoots as well as the HC without doing the same level of accurizing and testing they have already done. I have never owned one, but I have seen their test targets first hand and handled the rifles. Good rifles. I almost bought one myself this spring, but came across this NIB Allen Precision .270 WSM...

+1 for what COBrad said. I was looking at doing that a few months back as well. I opted to get a Sendero and swap out the stock for now. If I am not happy with how it shoots, I can easily do work to it as I feel necessary. I just had a hard time dropping a ton of cash all at once without really seeing what the system could do. This is what I was told from Hill Country...

"We could take the barreled action from a Remington Sendero and Accurize this into one of McMillan's tactical stocks.
Cost here is $2300. We could add Cerakote for $350. We could add a tactical bolt knob for $155.
I would expect very near ½ MOA out of this rifle."

beardog, that's about what they told me as well, only the rifle was a Remy custom shop mtn rifle in 7 rem mag. Even with that light barrel they said sub-moa, at least, and that with factory ammo. Still, all said I was getting close to the cost of buying one of their Harvester rifles, without the McM stock.

I went back and forth for awhile between accurizing a factory rifle or going with a fully custom weapon for just that reason. By the time you are done upgrading your rifle with everything you want, you might as well have just gone fully custom. At the end of the day I opted to just go with the factory Sendero and spend my fun money on a cool hunting trip. Truth be told, my gun was shooting sub MOA at 100 and 300 yards which for the first twenty rounds out of a brand new rifle and shooting Rem Core Lokt, I was happy with. I've been a .308 shooter all my life and once I really get a better feel behind that new .300 Win Mag, and I find ammo she really likes, I can only expect it to get better. My last three rounds we moved back to 650 yards and I shot a (3shot) 2" group, all in the black on one of those Shoot N-C 8" targets. As a hunter that is exactly the performance you want to see, and definitely gives me a lot of confidence in my equipment. Still a lot of practice to be had, but definitely a great start.

I did it the easy way. I own one of each. :D

Seriously, I purchased the Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag locally a couple of years ago and it is incredibly accurate. The Accumark is the same. My HCR happens to be a Wby UltraLightWeight that was sent to them by the previous owner for the Accurizing package, Cerakoting and a new McMillan stock. All 3 are great rifles but since the Sendero was the least expensive it's by far the best "bang for the buck." It is, however, heavy as a "carry" rifle. After dragging it around a hunt in TX last November hunting whitetail I bought the Wby ULW because I'd had enough of dragging around a heavy rifle.

I'd buy another one of any of them in a second if I had the need.

I just ordred a HCR in 308 with the new McMillan stock. I spoke with Josh and felt really good about it so I pulled the trigger, so to speak. They're also mounting up a Zeiss 4.5X14X44 and sighting it in on their range at 200 yards. I paid a bit more, like $100, for the scope as I could have bought it somewhere else and sent it down. He said he'd no way be offended if I wanted to do this but for $100, I just ordered it from them.

I'm also looking at a 300win mag and am told they have a few ready to go. I did this as I know a few guys that have them and they all said they're great shooters. Mine is shooting .222 groups at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.