Remington vs Savage Throat Length

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by scsims, Jul 8, 2012.

1. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

I'm working up a load for my sons new Savage 10 308. I have never reloaded for a Savage before. I reload for Remington 700s, and my 308 the bullet is set much further out to get near the lands compared to the Savage.

COL
    Savage
    Touching Lands = 2.675"
    Pushed into Lands = 2.791"

Remington
    Touching Lands = 2.942"

Is this normal?

I may just me used to Remingtons, seems that I have to seat the bullets out pretty far on most of them,

2. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Well-Known Member

Normal...all Remingtons have throats like a giraffe.

3. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

+1 My experience echos that statement.

4. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

yes it is about right
    gary

5. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

compairing a couple 22-250's to a remington 22-250 showed a .070" difference! .223's are also similar.
    gary

6. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I don't really understand that statement...
    2.791 - .2.675 = .116" doesn't make sense.

After about .010" jam, you're just seating the bullet deeper as you close the bolt.

-- richard

7. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

I'm using a stoney point AOL tool to get the AOL of the cartridge. When I push the bullet in to were it stops I get the first measurement 2.675 and If I firmly push on the plunger of the tool the bullet will go a little further and I get 2.791.

This is one of the reasons I asked the question because I wasn't sure. With my Remingtons I don't see the same results. I get about the .010" difference from when the bullet just stops to where I firmly push on the plunger.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Same experience with me. Even the Milspecs are way out there compared to the Savages.

9. rscott5028

You have to push a little on the plunger to get the bullet engaged.

If there's a .116" difference, then the bullet will come out seriously and visibly engraved by the rifling. If it's barely scored, then the latter is probably the more accurate reading and I'm not sure what the initial resistance is unless using TTSX's with relief areas cut into the bullet shank.

-- richard

10. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

OK, so should I press firmly on the plunger to get the most accurate reading of where the lands begin? To where the bullet stays in the rifle after removing the tool?

11. rscott5028

That depends.

If you're engraving the jacket from the pressure, then don't push so hard.

If it still doesn't feel right, try to get your chamber bore scoped to see what's going on. Savage and others do have tooling issues from time to time. I've heard of some where the chamber was cut off center from the bore. Obviously, those don't shoot very straight. So if it shoots well, it's probably not a concern.

If that doesn't seem to be an issue or concern, and if you're not engraving the jacket with the "firm" pushing, then I'd use that as my point of reference.

In the end, it doesn't matter what the measurement is since it's simply a point of reference.

What I think is important...
    - drop your charge back and work up whenever you go from jump to jam
    - the ideal amount of jump/jam can be different from one rifle to the next
    - jamming bullets in a hunting rifle will ruin your day if you open the bolt on a loaded round and pull the bullet out spilling powder into your chamber/magazine
    - will the loaded rounds fit and cycle from your magazine
    - are you getting the desired accuracy

Hope this helps.
    -- richard

12. rscott5028

The rifling usually grabs my bullet when using my Hornady OAL gauge. But, I don't press so hard that it scores the jacket noticably.

-- richard

13. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

Thanks it does help. I don't think I'm getting engraving on the bullet more of rub marks when I push it in firmly.

Thanks for all the help.