Remington vs Custom/7mm vs. 300/What would you do?

Just for some information about the 5r. The 300 Win mag version is available with a 24" bbl with a 5/8x24 threaded muzzle. Prior to 2012, it was offered in a 26" non threaded bbl. The 26" version is still widely available. I own one of the 26" 5r's with an April 2011 build date and I shoot Berger 230 OTMs at 2800 fps and I have plenty of room in the magazine to load into the lands and maintain full function as a repeater.

It is often said that the production 5r is essentially an M24, however, aside from using the same type of rifling and hammer forging machines, the rifles are completely different. The 5r is a great production rifle, and it performs extremely well. I am not sure if Remington puts any special touches in manufacturing or hand picks the parts for the 5r, but mine is machined and assembled with more attention to detail than several other higher end model 700 stainless rifles available for direct comparison.

P1070444.jpg

P1070440.jpg

Last edited:
I was in the exact same boat as you a few months back. Custom or upgrade a stock gun? 7mm or 300WM? After a lot of research, I ended up going with a Sendero in a .300WM and am waiting on a Game Scout stock from McMillian....it'll be here some day. haha. I'm topping it off with the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50. Plus, the cool thing about upgrading a stock gun is you don't need to blow your load at once. Upgrade the stock, develop a load and depending on what you started out with, you'll have yourself a **** good shooter. Have it bedded and the action blue printed if you're not 100% satisfied with it. Throw on a MB the year after if you think you need it. For me personally being a younger guy, I wanted to spend my money on the memories of going on big hunt every year more so than the weapon. True that you can easily sink as much into upgrading a stock gun as you would a custom gun, but the big deciding factor for me was I didn't have to do it all at once. Plus it's fun to really fine tune the weapon to your needs instead of having someone else do it.

I am definitely looking into the sendero, 5R win mag, and building custom on the rem700 action I already have and it brought me to this question: will I be able to shoot the 30cal Berger bullets i.e. 200gr on up vld bullets or will they be too long with these actions? Let me know if I am not understanding this correctly. I will shoot factory ammo for the short term but will reload in the future and want to use the vld bullets since I have read and seen good things about them. Thanks for all the help guys

my son in law and son shot each shot - 15 shot groups at 1000 yards with 210 berger. you could cover them with a sheet of notebook paper.

Nice looking rifle! From what I have been told, (now that I know what it is) the 5r and the 700 pss are assembled with more attention to parts an detail from Remington! Like I said earlier, the 5r an 700pss share a lot of the same things an yet are differant in things. Both however are very, very good rifles!(exetremly accurate an very forgiving of human error!)
BearDog is on track in what he is doing! Like I said, you cant beat a Sendero for a platform to start with!!! Hope this helps!

DT

brentc,

Why did you took off the target? Was there anything wrong?

No. There's nothing wrong with the target. I'm not sure how it came off after I changed the post. Here it is.

This target is from my Remington 5r. 4 shots 230 grain Berger OTM at 2886 fps.

The load is quite stout. My brass was having trouble, therefore I backed her down to the next lower node at 75.5 grains of retumbo right at 2800 fps.

P1070446.jpg

Nice looking rifle! From what I have been told, (now that I know what it is) the 5r and the 700 pss are assembled with more attention to parts an detail from Remington!

I've heard about special assembly too, just not from official sources.

Thanks for all if the info guys! Looks like I will go with the 300winmag since it provides more energy at long distance than the 7mm. Especially if I am hunting elk. I like the way the the 7mm stacked up with the 300 with the 168 and 180 bergers but what sold me was the fact the 300 can use the 210 or 230 bergers. And with the 230s it had more energy further out.

Now I need to find a 300winmag 5r for sale! If not then maybe the sendero or custom!

Like I said, to each his own as far as caliber choice. 210&230 gr bullet, sure is a lot of recoil! Whew!!! I don't wish to start anything, but 7mm mag,180berger will shoot just as flat an have just as much down range energy(if it's loaded right) as a 300 win! An I'm not saying anything bad about a 300 win!!(great round)just the 7mag has less recoil!!! Just puttin in my two cents!!

Like I said, to each his own as far as caliber choice. 210&230 gr bullet, sure is a lot of recoil! Whew!!! I don't wish to start anything, but 7mm mag,180berger will shoot just as flat an have just as much down range energy(if it's loaded right) as a 300 win! An I'm not saying anything bad about a 300 win!!(great round)just the 7mag has less recoil!!! Just puttin in my two cents!!

It really is to each his own, and I have both in exactly the configurations you're comparing. The 230's take the 300 WM to another level. Delivering an energy level that even the 7 RM can't touch with 180's fired 200 fps faster. You bring up a good point about recoil. The 300 WM with a stout 230 load comes back hard. A good muzzle brake is recommended.

For me, the recoil is managed by either a muzzle brake or suppressor. So really it's a non-issue. I respect individual opinions against muzzle brakes, but I prefer to have them, especially when they double as a suppressor adapter. I have one on my 7 RM for the 180s too.

Thanks for all if the info guys! Looks like I will go with the 300winmag since it provides more energy at long distance than the 7mm. Especially if I am hunting elk. I like the way the the 7mm stacked up with the 300 with the 168 and 180 bergers but what sold me was the fact the 300 can use the 210 or 230 bergers. And with the 230s it had more energy further out.

Now I need to find a 300winmag 5r for sale! If not then maybe the sendero or custom!

Check around. They're out there. I found mine on Gunbroker in like new condition. It came with a muzzle brake that I replaced with my suppressor adapter. So really, the price of the gun saved me a couple hundred off of new price, and having the muzzle threaded on the 26" bbl was an added bonus. I'm always extremely cautious about buying guns over the internet, but this purchase turned out great.

I was able to get into mine cerakoted, suppressor adapter, trigger, and bedded for less than new price. I was able to install and adjust the trigger and bed the stock myself to save on gunsmithing costs.

Keep em both and set em up as a light bullet/heavy bullet combo. A 140 in the 7mm will take you out to 4 to 500 yards with a lazer flat trajectory, and the 300 with a 180 grain or heavier witrh a high bc will cover farther out. The stock on the 300 may need some attention though; if it shoots, leave it, but if not either pillar bed and float it, or pitch it for a HS or one of the other alluminum bedding block layups.
If you want to get froggy, re-barrel the 300 for 7mmstw and you will get the best of both. If you do that, you could sell the 7mm and the lesser of the scopes and be out less than 500 for the barrel and stock.

Berntc an Lefty both have very good points! Bottom line is each his own! As far as the Froggy part( I'm gettin one built now) 7/300 win mag! 300 win necked to 7mm! It an a STW run. Neck an neck! Again, it's all about choice!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.