Remington under fire

The court system will be the ultimate vindication or condemnation of this issue and only time will tell but it does not look good from my view.

This is the same system that gave us gems like the OJ Simpson verdict, now staffed with Justices Kagin and Sotomayor. I feel so much better now.:rolleyes:

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Wasnt it NBC that ran the special on the Chevy pickups exploding in side impact collisions that turned out to be a complely rigged explosion. To those that now believe it is a problem because of the video I would bet those are guns that have been altered just like the trucks with the gas caps that did not fit to ensure gas would leak and the lit flare hidden by the fill cap for positive ignition in the pickup video.

There is no integrity in the media anymore only political activist disguised as reporters! So yes sometimes you cant believe your own eyes.

Last edited:
First of all, I absolutely hate the use of so called journalism to try cases in the media. And I don't care if the product is bubble gum, tennis shoes, cars or guns. It is inherently inaccurate and unfair.

Secondly, in this case (or any case) I urge you all to slow down in forming opinions until days and weeks have passed as Remington has a chance to put forth their rebuttal.

Imagine if your were under trial and the prosecution presented its case and your lawyer was not allowed to present your case before the jury was asked for its verdict.

I have no opinion so far and I don't know how the shooting public can have enough facts to form a conclusion without taking the time to dig for facts a little first.

Len Backus, Publisher

Wasnt it NBC that ran the special on the Chevy pickups exploding in side impact collisions that turned out to be a complely rigged explosion.
There is no integrity in the media anymore only political activist disguised as reporters! So yes sometimes you cant believe your own eyes.

I don't recall for certain whether that was NBC or not, but I do remember the segment you're referring to. The same network also ran video of watermelons exploding violently while supposedly being shot with AK-47s during one of CAs many anti-gun jihads. You couldn't turn on the news without seeing watermelons blowing up. It was Col. Marty Fackler, MD, then head of the army's wound ballistics lab that forced them to admit that the watermelons didn't explode like they wanted them to when actually shot with an AK-47s, so they reshot them with something that was more dramatic. What they finally did to get their point across was to film watermelons being shot with 7mm Rem Mags using varmint bullets, and THAT was the footage they were showing on the news. All the while (deliberately) giving the impression that those violent explosions were the result of 7.62x39mm FMJs out of an AK.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's just wrong for a news outlet to have a special effects department?

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

First of all, I absolutely hate the use of so called journalism to try cases in the media. And I don't care if the product is bubble gum, tennis shoes, cars or guns. It is inherently inaccurate and unfair.

Secondly, in this case (or any case) I urge you all to slow down in forming opinions until days and weeks have passed as Remington has a chance to put forth their rebuttal.

I just had a conversation with Len and he has closed the poll thread. Consequently I will not be posting any further at his request however it suffices to say that there will be some who will support the Remington position as fervently as those that support the Obama regime and those that will with equal fervor oppose. The odd part about this is that Len has not even viewed the MSNBC story in question and does not know what information factual or not was even presented. His objection centers on the fact that there is only one side to the story which is pretty much true. On the other hand there will be no other side of the story except from Remington who has a very vested interest in protecting their solvency and we will see how they dispel the documentation presented last night most likely in actual litigation. Unfortunately my experience in this matter is somewhat tainted as an accidental discharge happened to me many years ago because of the issue in question.

If we were discussing a company who was not protected by statute this would have been settled long ago and my biggest fear is more LEGISLATION on the industry as a whole should Remington's attempt to defend itself go horribly wrong assuming they are innocent. So one might look at it thusly – should the allegations prove true then we are all going to suffer because of the hue and cry of the liberals for more oversight of the firearms manufacturing industry. That my friends would indeed be unfortunate.

IMHO Len is emotional but it is his sandbox and I respect that, because when you are in someone else's house you abide by their rules arbitrary by emotion or not or leave. No more posts from me on this and let's all try to avoid any controversial subjects.

Anybody do any research on the yaw effect of non uniformed meplats vs uniformed meplats at 1k on the 142gr SMK????

Instead of debating subjects like this maby we need to get out and vote !!!!!

It is the only way to change the current environment.

J E CUSTOM

Len I am sorry but I have an opinion and I want it to be known.

Forgive me but I am not as articulate as some. REMINGTON I beg you to stand your ground !!! You have been called out by money hungry lawyers and left wing journalist's that have an axe to grind. Seriously they have built how many 700 action rifles over the past 5 decades and they could come up with is, A son who's father shot him in the hand when the saftey was taken off ? I feel for those guys but how in the world does that happen ? There is only one way to shoot someone or yourself and it only can happen if you have a loaded weapon pointed at you. If I had the time to waste I bet I could make a documentry about anything and make it seem like the company has put us @ risk in order to increase profits. Its just a shame people are dumb enough to belive it. CNBC knows it's viewers cant think for themselves thats why they will show you anything.

Just another example of how bad this country has gotten. In a day and age when people need jobs and buisnesses are going overseas to get away from are political ******** regulations, these idiots decide to attack the largest rifle manufacturer in the U.S. just freakin BRILLIANT.

REMINGTON DONT BACK DOWN IF YOU DO IT WILL BE THE BEGINING OF THE END!!!!!

Consequently I will not be posting any further at his request

Boss Hoss, at least 3 times I told you I only objected to the poll and the comment that you only wanted poll participants who had seen the MSNBC hour long video. I said something to the effect of "why wouldn't you also want poll participants to wait until they heard or read the defendant's position". I couldn't seem to get that point across to you even though I tried repeatedly. At no time did I say you or others should not or could not discuss it...just that I was not going to run a poll on my site so early. I closed your thread because that was the way to stop the POLL.

So post all you want.

And remember all:
  • Remington is not a Sponsor
  • I have no horse in this race other than the unfair way that media tells one side of the story. If Remington screwed up we all want to know it. But we aren't going to "know it" just because MSNBC says it.

Len--just sent you an email that Jack Belk sent to me about this.

He just sent me a message and is having trouble logging in..

Last edited:
I've owned Remington M700s for 30+ years and have never seen one just go off without either someone screwing with the trigger or doing something wrong in handling.

Also there's nothing wrong with the extractor design aside from a poorly installed one or some ice getting in there in cold & wet conditions.

Operator error and/or poor maintenance.

It could be left to individuals to replace their own triggers. I still feel the 700 is a good design and I like mine. My question is who makes a replacement trigger and safety, and will it really fix the problem ? I feel this is the question. I would rather buy a replacement trigger than sit and wait for Remington and the Courts to replace it. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.