? Remington SPS Value.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by kc, Dec 28, 2010.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

I have a friend who runs a Pawn shop he gave me a call they got in a 7MAG Remington 700-SPS.
    it looks like this guy never used it, $450.00...It has LEUPOLD scope rings, no other sights
    its in a cheap black plastic stock, it looks like the previous owner had it locked up and never used it. I have a CDL model stock tucked away I bought at a Gun Show for $25.00, I could not pass it up, this was the best stock on the table.
    What do you think of the price? my Springfields can wait...should I go or no go?
    I also noticed the face of the bolt had no marks or signs of use..

I sure could use some advice, I have a 7MAG that will need a Barrel soon, its washed out a bit
    for the first quarter inch. I could make a .300 Mag with it.

2. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

That is a not a bad price for an SPS. If you are already have another stock I would look a little harder. The cheap plastic sps stock are the weak link on these rifles. Many that have had the stocks upgraded turn into pretty fair shooters. If I were in your shoes I would think pretty hard about it. Worst case scenario, you end up with a clean magnum action for the build of your choice. You're looking $400 for an action. So for the $50 I wouldn't be too concerned.

3. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I'd buy the SPS, replace the stock with the CDL wood and sell the Tuperware stock back to the pawn shop. JohnnyK.