Remington SPS firing pin materials....

MTGunner

Bought a new SPS, 30-06, very reasonable and have been cleaning up the action, Tupperware stock and all before I start load development. Took the bolt completely apart to find that the firing pin looks nothing like my older 700 firing pin materials. I remove the firing pin to clean, polish the pin and the interior of the bolt body assembly and normally replace the spring. Does anyone have knowledge of the current materials used to manufacture these? BTW, this firing pin is factory fluted for weight reduction I am assuming. I will say this, "Remingtons quality control is truly lacking". But, got a great buy and will work with it to see if I can produce sub minute groups. Thanks for any and all input. MTG

Not replacing the firing pin. Merely checking everything. It has always been my mantra to disassemble a new firearm to clean, check, evaluate the quality of such piece. To verify that all is in safe working condition to my standards. Admittedly I am very picky. Therefore my inspection.

I DID ask about the firing pin. I merely posed a question regarding the firing pin materials. If you do not have the information I requested that is fine. But, to question what I do with a new firearm to me is counterproductive. Now, I replace most firing springs with Tubbs springs. Let me be very clear, I am asking if anyone could offer up what may be the material/s that Remington manufactures their new/current model 700 firing pins? MTG

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts