Remington Sendero 6.5-284

Why doesn't Remington make a Sendero in 6.5-284 with an 8 or 8 1/2 twist?

The 6.5x284 may be a popular cartridge for F-class benchrest shooting but it's never been a very popular hunting cartridge. How much 6.5x284 ammo do you see on the shelves at Wal mart? If Remington doesn't offer it you can be sure it's because their market research says they won't make much money by offering it.

If you want you could build a reasonable equivalent out of a 700 BDL long action 270 or 30-06 donor rifle, a barrel your choice of length, twist, and weight from Pac-Nor or others, and an HS Precision stock.

Or you can just buy a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag with all around better performance except more recoil.

I appreciate your reply. In my opinion, I don't think we have enough data to conclude that it would not be a popular hunting cartridge. To my knowlege, Savage is the only company to test that water. Remington appears to have danced around the cartridge with numerous 260 Remingtons (insufficient powder capacity, wrong twist), 6.5 Remington Magnum (better powder capacity, but belted case), 264 Win Mag (lots of powder capacity, belted case, wrong twist) and other entries in the county fair.

I concur on the Wal mart commentary with a couple of twists. I don't think Sendero shooters typically shop for ammo at Walmart. I may be wrong. ( I would not even think of putting factory fodder down the barrel of one of my Senderos.) Remington offers a .257 Weatherby chambering of all things. I don't think that would be an offering that caters to Walmart shoppers. Also, the 6.5 Creedmoor is not something that Walmart shoppers would seek. Yet Ruger and Hornady stepped up and quickly filled a niche. I shop at Walmart...not frequently...but I go there.

Corporate metrics being what they are, I would think a 6.5-284 would put Remington right down the middle of that fairway. The 6.5mm one. The Sendero would be like a Big Bertha driver, but the "ponk" sound would be much easier on the ears.

Speaking of fairways, I have a Coues deer tag for a fairway not too far from the Patagonia area. Amazing place you live in.

SOME/LOUBOYD- I consider the 257 weatherby accumark and the 6.5-284 sendero the best without a doubt for coues deer hunting. i think remington is missing the boat too. savage makes a 6br which is not common in walmart ect. i guess the bean counters at remington don't agree and savage is very daring. i have a 6.5-284 sendero and i like it . Lou, the canelo hills and patagonia creek area is some of the prettiest in az. i aM envious. roninflag

I think Remington will sit on the side line long enough to see how the sales of the Savage will go before jumping in the market. I had an opportunity to shoot the Savage 6.5-284 and it will shoot as advertised. I think the short barrel life will effect sales when you can up to the 7mag and get another 1000 rds down the barrel. Just my .02.

I don't think your going to see a Remington Sendero 6.5X284 as word I have is Remington is dropping the Sendero. Bean counters say there is just not enough sales to warrant production. Savage being a smaller company and have a reputation for accuracy is able to produce the F-Class and some of the other specialty rifles a lot easier and cheaper than Remington evidently or are doing so to gain an even bigger foothold. I don't know where their trying to take Remington but it is a changing and in my thoughts maybe not for the best or they have plans for a replacement for the Sendero. Most of their changes and improvements of late have all been in the area of military and law enforcement models. Seems that is where all their energy's are going as I'm sure the military spends more money than the public does for guns.

Billr- Ouch. Dropping the Sendero would not be a good thing. Based on the prices they seem to be achieving, I would bet their gross margins on the Sendero are healthy. I agree that Savage is attempting to gain a foothold in this area with the 6br, 6.5-284 etc chamberings. They are doing a great job. The accutrigger is great. I dont understand why Remington would not consider augmenting the Sendero line with a 6.5-284 offering. Does not make sense to me. If you took a poll, I bet there are a huge number of 6.5-284 shooters on this forum alone.

FYI Krieger can and does duplicate the factory stainless fluted and contour of the Remington Sendero barrels. I have two waiting to be installed on Senderos (300 RUm and 264 mag).

On the military front, they should also try a 6.5-284 for that reason as well. Better ballistics than 308 etc.

I am a huge fan of Remington, but I gave up trying to figure out the reasoning behind the things they do along time ago. Take supporting their own cartridges for example. Remington doomed my precious 280 rem from day one with bad marketing and have just recently started offering the cartridge in more then one model. They haven't put all that much effort into promoting the 7mm-08. They come up with a great cartridge like the 260 and you can't buy a single M700 right now in that caliber. Don't see very many 7mm or 300 SUAMs available either (I understand the 300 because of the 300WSM but the 7?!?).

The 700 lineup is just as bad. The drop great models like the Alaskan Ti and add crap like the XHR. They overstretch the line-up with poorly thought out limited editions like Buckmasters and Bone Collector. Great models like the Mountain, Sendero, and CDL SF are offered in a few limited calibers. I could go on and on but you get the point. I was hoping the economy would force them to rethink their business strategy and get back to basics but I guess not.

I could not believer they dropped the 25-06 in the Sendero. It was a hot seller in the eastern part of NC for bean field shooting of deer.

the 25-06 sendero; and the original mountian ti are two i will not ever sell. wish i had another.

the new Titaniums are heavier and slightly bigger. The old Titaniums were very, very light. The 300saum I have in the old version shoots lights out bughole groups. I wish I would have gotten one in 7mm Saum. They are way over priced now.

I had a titanium in a .270 win about 4 years ago, traded it off, wish I wouldn't have done that, the action sure would come in handy for my next build......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.