Remington or Savage?

jax338

Guys, I just want some opinions. Planning on purchasing a .243/6mm and wanted to know if some of you had ever shot these rifles and which one is superior? Savage 12bvss or 700 vls. Greatly appreciated!

Shot pds @ over 1000 yds w/my stock BVSS .243 w/the 105 amax. I have no complaints w/it. It's currently in MT getting a makeover though!! I was pretty rough on it and the bbl only lasted about 1500 rds.

I am quite partial to the remington vls. They shoot very well and the action feels so much better than the savage, at least to me. I would go with the .243, the brass selection is so much better

I just bought a savage stevens 200 for 269.00 at gander mtn I did the trigger to 2 lbs and put a bushnell 4200 4x16x50 on it and with 70 grain bal tips and 52grns of varget it shoots around a half inch at a hundred.I was really surprized,and it weighs 6 1/2 lbs.I'm gonna use it for coyotes for longer shots.I use a rem lvsf 221 fireball for shots up to 300,I was using a rem vssf 22-250 for longer shots but it,s heavy.I'm a gunsmith and ten years ago I wouldn't buy a savage but they came a long way,and if you check in savage shooters.com you can buy barrels and change calibers.

sorry, I havent shot either of these two exact rifles. I have shot both savages and remingtons though and all of them I have shot shoot under 1moa. In fact all of the remingtons and savages I have shot shoot under 1/2moa at 100yrds. The only one I have shot that didn't shot under 1/2moa is a 300rum in an lss but even it shoots under 1moa. The only rifles I've dealt with are remingtons, winchesters, rugers, and savages. The only one that I've found aren't real good shoters are the winchesters. I shot 1 out of three that shoot under 1moa at 100yrds and the rest were shooting somewhere around 1.5-2 moa. Not trying to slam winchesters or people who love them but i'm not impressed so far.

4d21a2e0a9b08953f3deca4a9d3a0192-.jpg

IMO!!!

I too will say that for a factory rifle there's only one answer. . .

SAVAGE BABY!!!!!!!!!!

The action may not be as smooth but for accuracy and price you can't beat em.

Hey fireball, you must of meant 42 gr of varget and even that is enough for a 243. I shoot a 6mm vls and it shoots great as long as I keep the bullet weight down to under 80gr. I have heard that the savage shoots heavier bullets better.

I have a Savage 12BVSS .22-250 that with only a trigger job consistently groups in the .3-.4" range at 100 yds when the wind is calm. I have a Savage Tactical heavy barrel rechambered to 7STW that will shoot just as good. I've got a couple of Remington 700's that I really like. The fit and finish is better and the action is smoother, but they won't outshoot the Savages. Out of the box accuracy with just about any load, Savage wins hands down. I kept hearing it and now I'm a believer too!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.