Remington Model 700 VL SS Thumbhole VS Savage Model: 12 BTCSS

Hunt - have you seen the vid clip about the remington 700. it is the" best gun in the world ; the Hole world". that said ; while there a lot of after market support of stuff for it many do real well with the savage. roninflag

buy the Savage 12BVSS-S and be done with it. The stock is far better than anything from Remington or the others. Comes in a 12 twist, or a 9 twist. Better trigger, faster lock time. And of course a better barrel, and the floating bolt head
gary

Yeah, I've been hearing really good things about Savage, nothing negative, Remington seems to be lacking in the quality department, so I've read.
I don't really have much experience with Savage, I have a Mark II .22Lr & it is a great little gun, always had good luck with my 700's though.
Thanks for the input Trickymissfit

Yeah, I've been hearing really good things about Savage, nothing negative, Remington seems to be lacking in the quality department, so I've read.
I don't really have much experience with Savage, I have a Mark II .22Lr & it is a great little gun, always had good luck with my 700's though.
Thanks for the input Trickymissfit

I shoot both brands, and there are things I like about both brands. But the forend on the Savage stocks is much better than the Remington. With a Remington, your pretty much locked into a bi-pod, and I hate them because the move. I prefer to shoot off of sand bags filled with rice. Savage makes two laminated varmit stocks. The VLP is not as good off a rest as the BVss is due to taper. Also the Remington stocks have a much more pronounced radius on the bottom of the forend than the Savage. Neither stock has all that great of a butt end design, so you just have to learn to deal with it. I have never used a plastic Savage stock, but have used Remingtons. Both appear to be less than ideal.

The thing about gun stocks is to forget about all the fancey doodads and stuff, and figure out what and where your going to use it. If your shooting off a rest, table top, or even prone position your looking for a certain design shape. But if 90% of your shots are offhand, then your after another shape. Off hand, I like the shape of the Remington VS (but would like it better with a couple minor changes). Shooting off a rest or sand bags the Savage is the best, and even then it's not perfect. If you have big hands (I don't) the savage is to your liking. If weight is a factor, then you will need to plan on restocking both guns, or modding the Remington stock a good bit.

When I go coyote hunting I usually carry a Remington 700 that has been rebuilt from muzzle to butt pad. It's a small .223 national match chamber with a .244 neck. The scope is too big and kinda heavy, but actually helps the balance out. It's a solid mid fours gun, and will dip into the high threes if I do my part. Very difficult to shoot off a rest with it due to the stock design, but off hand it's a killer. If I know I'm going to be shooting in a prone position or off a bench setup; I take a Savage. These rifles have more range and accuracey than the Remington, but are way too heavy to be lugging around all over the place (13.5lb.). But I also can tag a dog at 600 yards with it.
gary

Out of these two rifles I would pick the Savage, the reason being I have a good friend that has the Savage and it will shot dang near the same hole at a 100 yards and at 300 it will put them into a 1'' group are better. But I will say in defense of the Remington I've never seen it shot, not that one anyway. Hope this helps. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.