Remington model 7 SS magnum

Gunnersaw1

Hi
I am new to this web site. I am really glad I found all of you,I have learned a lot already. My next rifle is going to be a .300 For elk, moose, and long range shooting. I am not a real big guy. 6ft 185 lbs. I picked up a model 7 the other day and it fit me like a glove. Well the only option in this rifle is .300 SAUM. 22" barrel. I was really considering 300WSM or 300 WM with longer barrels. But this rifle fits me better than anything else I have tried. Does any one have one of these and how do you like it. How is the recoil in the smaller gun. Thanks

I set that same gun up for a co-worker , the recoil isin't bad but you know its their and its pretty loud. The loads I worked up for him are a 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip running out at around 2900fps maybe a little bit slower but this was the most accurate load shooting around 5/8" at 100yds , I was able to ring a 10" gong at 500yds consistanly giving the gun a miniut or so between shots and in no wind. He has taken several deer with it out to 300yds and none went further than 50-60yds.
With the BC of the 180gr Accubond being listed as the same as the 180 ballistic tips I think that this would be a great gun for elk out to 400yds.

I'm not sure what work in involved in making the M-7 feed the WSM cases but the 300 and 7mmRSUM arn't far enough behind to worry about velocity gain so long as its accurate.
But if all else fails then you can have it rebarreled with a 26" tube that will help get it back up into the true magnum class velocity.

Not a model 7,but Kirby has just finished working over a 300 SAUM Sendero for me,hope to get it to the range next month.My son (14 & about 140lbs) has a model 7 7mm SAUM and loves it,fits him like a glove.I also have a model 7 in 223 I use for coyotes and love the way it comes up to the shoulder and seems to fit so naturally.

Hi i have the same rifle in 7mm it is just awsome. I have just fitted a muzzle break of my own design aswell as a R3 recoil Pad and adjusted the trigger and bedded it in the stock and it will reliably shoot under 1/2" at 100 if i do my part for 5 shot groups. Go for it the Rem SAUM's are a very good design and well suited to the model 7.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I am leaning toward the model 7 .300 SAUM. One other thing is only remington brass is available. I have always prefered win brass. I suppose that I could make some out of WSM. The headstamp would be wrong. Most of the SAUM's are marked down,so the price is right. The model 7 CDL is now available in WSM, But I want SS. The .300 SAUM I found is a special run. Thumbhole laminate stock with SS action and barrel.$ 699

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.